fot

Re: [Fot] Hood Louvers

To: "cofrog@q.com" <cofrog@q.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hood Louvers
From: TR4 Tony <tr4.tony@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 18:34:31 +0100
Hi

I've found that the hot spots in the TR4 are quite peculiar and the solution
isn't entirely obvious when you get down to it.

In the uk and for msa / fia sanctioned events you may not get away with
louvres, or indeed even a gap at the rear of the bonnet as this needs to be
sealed as oe against risk of fire (!) Silhouette modifications such as louvres
are forbidden as i understand (as are oil cooler vents in the lower valance as
per TR5 and 250) and whats more they are not really very effective as the heat
spots on the TR4 are at the back of the engine and low down under the exhaust
manifolds, not on the top of the engine where louvres might pull air from.

Having said that I've run my bonnet open at the rear by about an inch, resting
up on the pins using wire u brackets engaging through extra holes in the pins
(and haven't been told off. (yet)) This does help as the gap is long enough to
pull enough air and create a vacuum at the back of the engine bay which sucks
air from inside and by the hot bits.

A better solution as ive found on Beastie is to run the works style wing vents
and duct air from the BOTTOM of the engine bay up to them on either side .....
That way you get air moving not eddying round the exhaust manifold
(particularly) Ducting the radiator better helps too and running longer duct
sides down to the chassis rails with upswept tubes connected in (plus brake
ducting if you can) to allow air up from the front of the car works well too.

The above does NOT work with a full length sumpguard ..... So for rallying
more thought is needed. It does if you blank the vents over and make the air
flow out past the gearbox .... Great in the winter, less good in the summer
..... And bad for the glue on the soles of your pretty boots and starts to
cause all sorts of gearbox overheating issues, which are another story and
another series of mods to deal with. Email me I you want pictures ..... It's
all solvable. As the Man says, never be beaten by equipment .....

Regards

Tony

Sent from My iPhone