fot

Re: [Fot] Cam Timing Degree Specs

To: "Glenn Franco" <gaf3@charter.net>, "Friends of triumph"
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cam Timing Degree Specs
From: "Richard Good" <goodparts@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 22:27:46 -0400
Glenn,

The timing specs for the late TR6 cam are:

Intake open 18 deg BTDC, close 58 deg ABDC
Exhaust open 58 deg BBDC, close 18 deg ATDC

I believe these timing specs are supposed to be point of opening/closing.
If that is the case, with valve clearance spec of .010" at the valve, the
tappet has to move .010" divided by rocker ratio of 1.45:1 = .007" before
the valve starts opening.  So you should be able to time to these specs at
.007" of tappet lift.  Stock cams I have checked appear to have this
advertised duration at about .010" tappet lift so you may have to go to
.010" to get these timing points to hold out.

I have never seen .050" timing specs for the stock cam but the ones I have
checked appear to have about 210 deg duration at .050" so the timing specs
would be:

Intake open 5 deg ATDC, close 35 deg ABDC
Exhaust open 35 deg BBDC, close 5 deg BTDC

Regards,
Richard Good
Good Parts Inc.