fot

[Fot] FW: Save the Bonneville Salt Flats!

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] FW: Save the Bonneville Salt Flats!
From: Fred & Mary Hodgson <stlnyc@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 21:24:10 -0600
Amici-

Thought I'd pass this on for those who might be interested.

Fred Hodgson

Send Your Letter Supporting the Salt Flats

Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

Once again, Summit Racing Equipment is reaching out to motorsports enthusiasts
- helping to raise awareness and seeking your support on the issues affecting
our industry, hobby, and passion.

Below is a letter addressed to the Bureau of Land Management asking for its
immediate support in stopping the destruction of the Bonneville Salt Flats in
Utah - a site of immense historic value where land speed records have been
attempted, and set. Originally 96,000 acres, the Salt Flats have shrunk to
just 30,000 acres because of unchecked potash mining operations who have
failed to replace the salt they've destroyed.

We ask that you take the time to either write your own letter, or copy the one
below into an email, to help our government leaders understand the historic
and intrinsic value of the Salt Flats, and of their responsibility to help
preserve them. Please consider sending or emailing the following letter to the
Bureau of Land Management:

To: The Honorable Robert Abbey
Director, Bureau of Land Management
U.S. Department of the Interior

As a long-time automotive and motorsports enthusiast, I was particularly
troubled to learn about what appears to be the deliberate destruction of
Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats by potash mining operations.

The Bonneville Salt Flats are a national treasure, and have been an integral
part of the American motorsports scene dating back to the first record land
speed attempt there in 1914. The Salt Flats are a "National Landmark" and an
"Area of Critical Environmental Concern"  both of which are designations that
should trigger the Bureau of Land Management's immediate involvement.

Originally 96,000 acres, the Salt Flats are now a mere 30,000 acres. It's a
travesty, and something has to be done. I ask that you do everything in your
power to mitigate the damage being inflicted on the Salt Flats, including:

An Environmental Assessment that will require mining operators to implement a
permanent salt-replenishment program, requiring that miners replenish mined
salt at the same rate that it is removed.
A mandate that replenished salt be of the same, or better, quality than what
is removed, and that the replenishment program occur over a period of several
months to ensure that the salt is dispensed throughout the Salt Flats basin,
and that the underground aquifer is replenished.
Preventing salt from being removed from the Bonneville Salt Flats region for
commercial sale.
Action to make the program permanent and verifiable.Please help motorsports
enthusiasts protect these invaluable resources. Please save the Bonneville
Salt Flats.

Thank you.

Emails should be sent to:
director@blm.gov
CC: to SEMA at stuartg@sema.org

Letters should be mailed to:
Bureau of Land Management
U.S. Department of the Interior
Attention: The Honorable Robert Abbey, Director
1849 C Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20240

Thank you again for your support!

This message was intended for: AUTOWIZARDS@MSN.COM
To unsubscribe: Please do not reply to this email! You can unsubscribe here.

This email was sent to you by:
Summit Racing Equipment
1200 Southeast Avenue
Tallmadge, OH 44278