fot

[Fot] Coil recommendation

To: Friends <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Coil recommendation
From: "Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley" <triosan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:36:53 -0700
I have a Pertronix distributor in the TR6 race car with an Ignitor II
electronics.  I do not have a ballast resistor.  This worked well in
combination with a Crane CCD box.  I had some issues that lead me to believe
the Crane was not working properly so I removed it.  the coil is a Lucas 1.5
ohm liquid filled model.  I ran a couple of sessions last year with no
problems, then had the distributor move to way to advance during a run [nut
that held it not tight].  Next session I burned a valve -- this was all
early ast year.  I finally got the car back on the track Friday.  The first
session I had the ignition way too retarded so it had a mid-range stumble
and did not everr make good revs.  Abut 15 minutes into the session the car
died.   After aflat toe, I did a lot of looking, determined the fuel system
was fine and the ignition was too retarded.  Fixed that befre the next
session.  In that session the car ran really strong -- for two laps and then
it died.  Now I knew it was an ignition issue, so the first thing I did
after the flat tow back was to check the coil.  It was not functioning so I
replaced it [not thinking as to why it died, or at that point checking how
hot it was].  Next session with the new [old] coil had the same results.
This time I checked the coil and it was way ho.  I obviously should have had
a ballast in this system.  All of this happened at Portland.  Car died in
the same place each time -- just coming onto the strraight out of the
chicane.  Alsways had enough power left to coast up the berm and behind the
wall so as to not hold up the sessions.  The tow guys kidded that after 3
tows in a day they owned the car.

So now I am ready get a new coil.  Does anyone have experience with an
Ignitor II and if so, have you run it with a 3 ohm coil and no ballast?  Am
thinking of getting the 60000 volt Pertronix non-liquid filled coil, but no
sure what works best and am looking for advice.  I have asked Pertronix tech
support also, but will not get there answer for a  couple of days.

Thanks.

--
Chuck Arnold
fot@autox.team.net