fot

Re: [Fot] Carrillo TR3-4 rods torquing

To: Alexandre Camoletti <ac@camoletti.ch>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Carrillo TR3-4 rods torquing
From: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:22:39 -0400
These bolts are typically a much smaller cross-section, high strength material
relative to stock bolts (to keep the rotating weight down) and the required
torque is lower.  The bolts on the Carillo rods on my GT6 get only about 25 lb
of torque - probably smaller ones than on your TR4.  Read the instructions
carefully - Carrillo specifies what type of lubricant to use on them at a
certain torque (I think some sort of loctite).  I once used ARP lube, thinking
it was interchangeable.  The ARP lube is much more slippery and the bolts were
over-torqued.  You might try using a bolt stretch dial indicator instead of
tightening them to a torque setting.

Why is this important?  Those fancy little bolts cost about $30 each if you
over-stretch one!