fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 oil consumption issue during break in

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 oil consumption issue during break in
From: Henry Morrison <dos_gusanos@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:54:37 -0700
I know you have all been on the edge of your seats wondering if I was ever
going to figure out what was wrong with my engine and here's the latest
theory.  First, I thought it was the guides, because they were not replaced.
I bought new guides and took them to the machine shop and confronted them.
They disassembled the head and proved to me the guides were good and in the
process I learned how the guides are measured and that I should trust my
machinist more.  So I went home and took out the pistons and returned to the
machine shop where he then showed me that the ends of the "oil control ring
expander" should not be overlapped one notch, but rather butt together so the
oil control rings can function properly.

So now all I have to do is go home and reassemble everything and see if it
works.  Probably will.

Hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake, and I'm glad I didn't break
down and give my engine the big Bon Ami douche treatment.

Cheers Henry Morrison Cedar Crest, NM

> Was the block bored, or honed and checked for taper? If the rings didn't
seat it may be too late. Look for the cause of the rings not seating or it
will happen again. Bores freshened up with brush hones often have too much
taper and allow blow by. On racing engines I use WD40 to lube the
rings/pistons for install. I wipe oil on the bores and make sure I have oil
pressure before starting. I want the rings to seat right away.

> Bob Kramer
> Southern Construction Inventory Manager
> RDO Equipment Company
> 16415 N. IH 35 Pflugerville, TX 78660
> 512-687-7422 Office
> 512-657-8526 Cell
>

> Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn
out. ~John Wooden
> Subject: [Fot] TR6 oil consumption issue during break in
>
> Well, yeah, I did measure the end gaps on the rings. All were within the
> specifications. The compression numbers when I checked them after 100 or so
miles were low (90 lbs at 7000 ft.) but even. The rings came on the pistons
and were black in color, looked like they had been plated black.

> I don't think that I broke any of the rings on installation.
>
> The machine shop told me the guides were OK when I probed them as to why
they didn't ask to replace them additionally they said if they were shot, the
car would still not use that much oil.