fot

Re: [Fot] what is the correct procedure to install a new split

To: Richard Jacob <jacobr3151@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] what is the correct procedure to install a new split
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:17:16 -0500
On 1/31/2012 1:07 PM, Richard Jacob wrote:
> Hello Gents,
> I have a TR4 engine that is leaking oil, which I am guessing is from the
>split ring/oil seal on the crank. I have purchased a new split ring/oil seal
>which I want to install. The engine is now out of the car. Can anyone give me
>pointers/tips on how to install these new one correctly?
> Thanking you in advance.
> Richard

Richard, Kas' latest book has some very good info on this subject.
Also, search the archives for a thread I started on 31 JUL 11 "Sealing
the TR4 Rear Main Cap", especially Greg Solow's suggestion to use high
temp RTV on the felt bits.  Tony's suggestion to read Jack's excellent
treatise on rebuilding the TR4 engine is also excellent.

There are a lot of us who've BTDT and got the whole collection of mugs.

jim

--
Jim Hassall
Blacksburg VA