fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire dipstick tube

To: "Don Marshall" <donmarshall@nefcom.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire dipstick tube
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 10:15:48 -0600
I went through this on my 1500s a few years ago.  My 1500s' cranks
seemed to catch a lot of oil in the sump and blast it up the dipstick
tube in left-hand turns, with the result that I always had oil spewing
out of my dipstick tube onto the headers.  There are other ways to fix
that problem, I'm sure, but my solution was to pull the tubes and tap
the holes for a 1/4"NPT plug.

Oil spewing problem solved.  New problem created with dipstick marks.

What I did with the dipstick was to put 4 quarts of water into the oil
pan (sitting on my bench) and measure from the lip of the pan down to
the surface of the water.  Repeated with 4.5 quarts and 5 quarts.  I
then dropped a dipstick through the newly-tapped dipstick hole and
measured down from the bottom of the block the distances measured for 4,
4.5 and 5 quarts in the pan and marked those on the dipstick (plus a bit
for the thick pan gasket).  I filed new marks on the dipstick and filed
off the old marks.

I've had pretty good results with that.

Scott B.