fot

Re: [Fot] Fw: Triumph and Oil

To: FoT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fw: Triumph and Oil
From: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:52:52 -0500
One of the weak points of the straight-six engine is the inadequate castings
that some of these bolts thread into, combined with sheet metal timing covers
and oil pans that aren't flat and don't stay that way.  Having been there, done
that, on my engine all the threaded holes into that crappy casting - the one
below the front main bearing - are now heli-coiled, bolts have been carefully
calibrated to make sure they don't bottom out and ruin the threads before the
cover or pan are tight, make sure that the casting is flush with the block and
engine plate when installed, etc.

I use copious amounts of Permatex ultrablack on the pan and timing covers,
combined with the thick gaskets.  I'm not sure the thick one is really
necessary at the timing cover - more important that the cover is flat and not
distorted at the bolt holes - otherwise the assembly cinches tight and you
still have daylight in between the bolt holes!

Try the timing cover first, but then be potentially ready to pull the whole
f-ing mess just to change the oil pan gasket!  The whole assembly requires a
lot of fiddling, and over-tightening stuff often makes it worse.