fot

[Fot] GT6 Intro

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] GT6 Intro
From: Edward Dunn <edunn@qualityfueltrailers.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:11:39 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Esteemed fellow enthusiasts;

After watching for 30 years, in 2010 I decided to actually do something about
my interest in vintage racing.  I bought an old GT6 racer from Steve Smith and
proceeded to jump into the ice cold/red hot pool of attempting to race.
Pretty much everything that could go wrong did.  Fortunately, nothing that
couldn't be fixed or solved.  We had so much fun/tragedy that VARA invented
and awarded me a new trophy for competitor that had the worst year possible
and still showed up. Apologies to Kas, but I was very much "beaten by
equipment", as well as a jerk Datsun 510 racer who slammed into me my very
first time on the track.

Fortunately, I've met a number of really terrific folks in VARA who helped me
put the car back together, and vastly improve its many shortcomings.  (Oops, I
still owe you a water pump Mr. Barker)

Essentially, we've fundamentally rebuilt most of the car.  Simple job, just
takes large amounts of time and vast quantities of cash. Good thing is, it
prompted me to sell most of my motorcycles which I had been dawdling on
doing.

I've always been into cars.  Someday I'll tell the story how I got my first
car at three years old (A 1940 Pontiac). Among the vehicles in our garage, is
the 1952 MG TD that I learned to drive in.  I have owned a wide variety of
cars, bikes, boats, RV's etc., but this is my first Triumph.  Except for the
'66 TR4A I stole  borrowed from my sister's husband for a couple weeks before
he found it.  Fun wheels for a 17 year old to blast around in...

Best we can tell (according to Steve Smith) is that my car was raced in the
L.A. area in the 80's-early 90's. Steve found it in a guy's back yard, and
finally sold it to me. Steve of course, is a well known GT6 racer with his
highly tuned & tweaked red #4 car.  Word on the street, is that Steve will
join us at Willow Springs in a couple weeks if the stars align. Steve has been
quite a help with the beast, and is a really interesting crazy character guy.

To further bore you, here's a brief rundown of what we've done to the car
since I bought it:

'  Changed number to 757 (another story for later)

'  Total refinish, inside / outside / under hood

'  Repair cracked frame outrigger

'  Built exhaust system aft of header (including race muffler)

'  Welded up floor holes, reinforced floor

'  Welded up numerous rust areas, misc body repairs

'  Reworked roll cage some

'  Finished interior with aluminum panel

'  Installed proper FIA fuel cell

'  Relocated fuel pump and lines

'  Replaced mirrors with proper race type

'  Replaced transmission bearings

'  Replaced clutch assembly

'  Shortened & balanced driveshaft to fit properly

'  Regeared rear axle to 4.10

'  Rebuilt brake cylinders

'  Rebuilt clutch cylinders

'  Replaced rotoflex's

'  Replaced gauges (Autometer race)

'  Replaced steering wheel (quick release)

'  Rebuilt shifter

'  Installed Accusump & new braided oil lines

'  Replaced oil cooler

'  Replaced oil pump

'  Replaced radiator (VW)

'  Replaced alternator

'  Replaced battery

'  Relocated battery to cockpit in sealed box

'  Replaced electrical master switch with proper one

'  Replaced seat with better Kirkey

'  Replaced motor mounts

'  Replaced binding throttle linkage

'  Rebuilt engine; crank, rings, cam, comp head, etc...

Current to do list:

'  Replace suspension bushings with poly

'  Rebuild/reinforce rear spring

'  Complete "octopus" oil system

'  Detail engine compartment

'  Build spare motor & trans

'  Renew brakes (Porterfield R4)

'  Refine spares collection

Many thanks to folks who have helped so far:

X  Joe Siam

X  Steve Smith

X  Rod Davis

X  Rod Davis Jr.  (body & paint)

X  Jim Clark, engine builder

X  A whole bunch of VARA members who helped keep me going when it felt real
bad...

X  Finally, the Master. Without his books as reference and bedtime reading, it
would have been a lot tougher.  Thanks, Kas.

Hopefully, I can contribute as well as take from this group.

Ed Dunn
Encinitas, CA