fot

Re: [Fot] blog?

To: marty sukey <trmarty@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] blog?
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 14:22:43 -0500
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Bobby,
Disappointment is just sometimes part of the game. Your car is really
nicely done and you should really be proud of that car.
However, I'm with Scott...Time to deal with someone who knows exactly how
to build a GT6 motor.
Perhaps some steps backwards will help establish a more solid baseline.
I would approach it by putting a motor together with stuff that works and
has been time tested. Only someone with actual GT6 or at least Triumph
experience can truly provide this
As an example, the Mikuni carbs are neat and may even work fine, but I'd
start with stock carbs (which we know work fine) run a few races and THEN
try the Mikuni set. Then you'll know If those carbs offer something better
than stock.

I had an interesting discussion with Kas about this concept. He noticed
that almost without exception, cars that were purchased from him ran fine
when sold... making 60 hp beyond stock.
The cars would run fine for a race or two. Then in the off season the new
owner would "re engineer" the car, switching to trick weber carbs etc.
Usually, this resulted in decreased performance and owner frustration and
even total failure.
The most important thing that goes along with this is writing everything
down. If you have a solid working baseline that is documented once working,
only then can new changes be measured and accurately tested.

Keep it simple and everything that can be measured should be written down.
It makes getting back to that baseline pretty easy.
Baby steps. Slow and steady wins the race.

P.S. What's the spot price today on GT6 scrap? FGR is always buying.
Hang in there bud, it really could be much worse.
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing