fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 Valve spring - pressure, assembled height, suppliers

To: Tim Murphy <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 Valve spring - pressure, assembled height, suppliers
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 15:57:51 -0400
Cc: ryan.murphy@fdlco.wi.gov, fot@autox.team.net
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
On 5/8/2012 2:40 PM, Tim Murphy wrote:
The machinist doing the work on our cylinder head tells me that we only have
about 70 pounds of pressure on the seats.  He thinks this is pretty low, in
his experience with other engines.  He also asked if I had the assembled
height of the springs, i.e. how much compression when assembled to the head.
He usually has this spec and shims the spring to obtain the specified
height.  Lastly, the alloy retainers are pretty beat up and the origin of
the springs are unknown and he thinks they look questionable.  Who are the
suppliers of valve springs, retainers, keepers and spring seat hardened
washers for racing purposes?
Tim, Isky has been one recommended source. If you go that way, be sure they have the matching retainers. I ordered a set of their springs to go with the 777 cam I was using, only to find that they wouldn't fit standard TR retainers and they didn't have their own retainers in stock. But if I wanted to order 5K of them, I'd have been good to go. Instead, I went to BFE and Ken fixed me up with his springs and retainers - great combination. Good man there.

BTW, I'm using 110# seat pressure.

jim

--
Jim Hassall