fot

[Fot] Fwd: Towing MPG

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Towing MPG
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 19:14:34 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=from:content-type:subject:date:references:to:message-id :mime-version:x-mailer; bh=YT2kLAKw76Nr5oNU/snwmaX+3gFqIJhn1YcbKSvXThs=; b=MpcHSJzMvau92TebjB88b2bNg5dyRo7aBplT1b2E4JT9RgsUR/7bIlQeH3Ofp6aA3g evIB5w5MFbE8jYV+17f/gT/WiNV2oG+nhf3JaStUjguTQzXS/tmr8rQm6UikZUbYNNh4 PQvMQdzhMh5K9IbI7BbPhmcSLtskwwgbhrSCt40GB/IB+ZfsYXXRqhTYqQA9KW1bAz+q xleoxdibxF73o/YSYqGWy3reQiYCbwvkTZDV8L7j1v6k5D3mlLIznAzHZIjke7EVUdmJ MIQ6zTKFT7Pi0UVzxQ+BoXMvMbgI5Y5UB7nNc2IcWLIT0Ek3casFVPB25FDBd7OgmNwX uVEg==
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
Yes, that's them.  There are two dealers I checked out, one in Baytown, TX and
the other in New Braunfels, TX, closer and a bit less expensive.  They sell a
trailer with a 63" X 10' foot deck which weighs only 365 lbs including an
attached full-width ramp (model 6310) -- but it's lightly built (with 13"
wheels, front "bumper" is sheet aluminum stock) so I went with the heavy duty
model at a larger size -- the 6812H (68" X 12' deck) with a folding full-width
ramp.  I has square aluminum tubing as a bumper bar along the front.  Before I
mounted the spare 14" wheel and bracket it weighed 510 lbs.  It has a 3000 lb
capacity axle under it and I can easily maneuver it around the yard by hand.
I put about $2750 into it total.  It's this model:
http://tinyurl.com/cuqf7az

I felt I needed to add some decent tie-downs so I drilled through the side
rails near the back and added D-rings with the mounting bolts passing through
some chrome moly tubing to avoid crushing the side rails, and then used a tow
ring from some GM vehicle, mounted similarly through the front rail.  I put a
steel caribineer through this ring to hold a strap to the front of the car and
the ratchet the rear corners to the D rings.  I do have to jack up the front
of the trailer and put some wedge chocks under the rear of the ramp to avoid
dragging the underside of the car when loading.

Duncan