fot

Re: [Fot] silicone brake fluid

To: "'Friends of Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] silicone brake fluid
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 08:53:47 -0700
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
> I think it's more of an insurance disclaimer since
> silicone is not
> DOT approved for use in street cars.

I agree about the insurance disclaimer, but not the reason for it.
Regardless of DOT approval, brake manufacturers have to test their
equipment; and none of them test with DOT 5.  Reproduction parts are a
particular problem, since the tests were done long ago and no one is going
to invest in repeating them now.

I also believe there are better choices for the track, eg any "racing" fluid
with frequent changes.  That said, I've been using DOT 5 on the street for a
long time, and I'm very happy with it.  My rate of hydraulic problems has
dropped dramatically since I started using DOT 5.

There have been some reports of seals that were not compatible with DOT 5.
IMO they fall in the same category as antifreeze in toothpaste, someone is
cheating somewhere.

-- Randall