fot

Re: [Fot] Odd compression?

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com> FILETIME=[161571B0:01CD8185]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Odd compression?
From: Vince G <vangoughv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:14:44 -0400
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
On this engine the leaking head gasket from the fuel pump side of the block is
a classic symptom I starting your torque sequence in the wrong side ( I've
made that mistake.

Have the valves and seats been recently done?

I've rebuilt 4 of those exact engines and never had to replace the stick bolts
but that is not to say yours are ok

You can check the head for flat/true by cleaning everything good then without
bolts or head gasket set the head into the engine block an use a .002 gauge to
check for gaps between block and head everywhere.  If you have a proper metal
straight edge you can lay it across block and head to further check if you are
of a mind to "do it  yourself" and this is a stock rebuild.

The machine shop is of course the best answer if it hasn't already been there
just prior to your recent assembly.

Best if luck

Sent from my iPhone

On 2012-08-23, at 6:47 PM, "Scott Janzen" <sjanzen@me.com> wrote:

> Hi, Ed
> Sounds to me like you have a warped head, non-level block and/or studs that
are stretched to the point where they've lost their elasticity (my engineering
materials courses are 35 years in the rearview mirror, sorry if the
terminology is wrong).  Too long is not an issue unless you are running out of
thread to tighten the nuts.
> Anyway, I'd suggest getting some new studs from ARP or another good
supplier, and getting the both the head and block checked by a good machinist
to make sure they're both flat, and getting the valves and valve seats
re-cut.
> Leakage along the outside of the pushrod galleys is not unusual - I usually
assemble with a bit of black permatex over there, but not between the
combustion chamber and the pushrod galleys.
> Length of pushrods, etc - sometimes you can have these shortened, depending
on the design.  Basically, you need to install and see if, when the camshaft
travels through the lift cycle, the rocker travel across the tip of the valve
is pretty close to centered.  If it's off, you'll get too much side load on
the valve and wear issues.  There are lots of aftermarket pushrod mfrs who can
supply new ones to the right length, or your machinist may be able to shorten
the ones you have.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/vangoughv@hotmail.com