fot

Re: [Fot] I have piston shrinkage

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] I have piston shrinkage
From: Jim Norlin <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:20:59 -0800
I no longer build my own Spitfire engines so I'm not sure what the
clearances are, but I have noticed something similar in the sound of the
engine during warm up.  Last year, I ran some early season races where
the temperature was down in the 40's over night.  Upon starting the
engine, I had a noise that was evidently piston slap until the engine
warmed up a bit.  Once warm, no noise and the engine ran great.  That
went away once the low temps warmed up during the summer.  This year, we
only ran in the summer and the piston slap was never noticeable.