fot

[Fot] Fuel Cell Questions

To: "FOT List" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Fuel Cell Questions
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:09:59 -0600
Hey, Hey, I got the dipstick too and I love it! And it gets hot in Kansas
too. Yes, on  some days the fuel evaporates quickly, so look quicker. :-)
Okay, so sometimes I check it 2-3 times to be confident I have a good
reading. Still beats guessing.

I got the 8-gal Sport Cell too, for my Spitfire. I had ATL put the dipstick
hole in the aluminum box. Only problem was, they didn't put a hole in the
foam inside, so when I got it I had to dismantle it, pull the foam out, and
make a hole. LOL  Not like that was any big deal. And I'll second the notion
that the ATL folks were very helpful.

I found if you take a blade and score the dipstick in about 1" increments,
each inch is just about a gallon.

I also got mine with double duckfoot pickups inside the cell, one goes to
each rear corner and each feeds its own fuel pump (Holley Red, which then go
to a tee, and then the line to the carbs). Never a problem with fuel
starvation in the turns. Holley Red pumps about 7 psi, I have a Holley
regulator up front to cut the flow to 2.5 psi to the carbs. I have a
no-tools test port tight by the tee.

And yes, I also put the vent tube in the same way Steve described. One thing
I learned is don't put 8 gallons in the 8-gallon cell. It'll overflow out
that vent tube and sometimes corner workers get all excited that you're
"leaking." To forestall that somewhat I also created a "fuel surge
attenuator" to attach to the vent tube -- I cut a finger off a cloth work
glove and wired it to the end of the tube. :-D  A seven gallon fill will get
you as far as you need to go.

I had my favorite body shop create me a cradle out of angle iron to mount
it. It hangs from the inner side plates since it's cut through the floor,
and a tailpipe bracket is welded to the bottom of the cradle (no it doesn't
get hot).

--Rocky Entriken