fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire rear axles

To: Scott Starkweather <scottstarkweather@rocketmail.com>, "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire rear axles
From: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:10:39 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Robert:
   The sad thing is there are no $1,000.00 axles out there. The options are
the axles Joe Siam sells, for I believe, north of $2,000, and the ones I
designed for Summer's Brothers which were around $1,200 the last time I
ordered a couple of sets in 2006-2007.
   IMHO I would not buy the Summer's Brothers axles anymore. After I gave them
permission to use my design and build as they required they changed the design
to; in my opinion, a inferior design with cheaper, smaller bearings. The first
twenty or so sets were as we wanted, but the last two sets were pure junk.
   The original thought with the Summer's axles was to make a reasonably
priced one piece axle using a Triumph lower trunnion modified for bigger
bearings that could be bolted on with no other mods. We were successful with
that, but, smaller bearings were substituted and the retainer ring was
changed. The last two sets have had problems.
   If I were buying a set of Spitfire axles today I would buy the ones from
Joe S. This coming from the guy that designed the ones that Summer's sells.
Joe's are a far superior design. Everything is enlarged beyond the minimal
safe requirements, and although it uses custom parts instead of Stanpart
trunnions and vertical links it does not require mods to your car.
   Scott: Buy the ones from Joe S.

-Ed Barnard-