fot

Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-
From: robertten1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:58:24 -0400 (EDT)
Sadly its not about servicing, supplying and knowledge sharing from the
current crop of " Auto Parts Stores ".  It's about the most PROFIT one can
gain from the product on the shelf (?).  Parts made in distant lands by people
promised a better way of life who could care less about what they are making.
Corporate heads making decisions of who is their supplier and really caring
less about any concerns the parts they are offering will fit, work or even
look like the part it is to replace.  Just as long as the profit margin is
large enough to secure their next bonus checks.  Quality is but a distant
memory.

As for the clerk behind the counter ... you get what you pay for, these people
are usually only making minimum wage.  This satisfy's the corporate heads as
labor rates are low thus keeping overhead costs down ... more profits.
Besides their belief is everything is on the computer and that info is all
that is needed for knowledge for their employees.  Thus you don't need to know
the difference between a rod bearing from a wheel bearing, or where they are
on a vehicle.  They are pressured to sell the cheap no name part to the
customer meaning the most profit for the corporation.

A few years ago I took an automotive technician course at one of those
schools.  When subjects like brakes and ignitions came up most of the
younglings in the class were unfamiliar with drum brakes or distributors.  And
totally baffled by points and condensers.  These topics were briefly reviewed
during the course.  So needless to say when I brought one of my Spitfires in
for study work in the lab several of my classmates were curious about the
distributor and its workings.  Good for some extra credits from my
instructor.

I have found that most of these parts places have web sites where I can look
up their part numbers for the part I am looking for.  I write this info down
and then go shopping.  If the clerk behind the counter wont use the numbers I
will then ask for the manager.  This gets me my parts and usually the clerk
gets a little education from his superior.

Finally, I always shop for the brand name part for critical items as its worth
the extra money for a quality part that fits so I only have to make the repair
once.  Unfortunately for our Triumphs the quality parts are becoming harder to
find as the parts made in China it seems are the only way our parts are being
reproduced.  I find it harder, these past several years, to locate any last
bits of NOS parts left.  Though blogs and some web sites prove invaluable for
info on what and where to locate these better quality parts for our Triumphs.

Keep searching,
Bob T
'63 Spitfire  street
'64 Spitfire GT  autocrosser

PS   these stores could eliminate about 40 % of the crap on their shelves and
still serve their customers as they do now.  Air Freshener dodads ?  Why ?