fot

Re: [Fot] A type O.D.

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] A type O.D.
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 15:42:17 -0500
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
I normally shim them with plan hardware store washers that are about
1/16".  These old springs always seem to be a little week, but I have
never had to use more than two to get an OD back to spec.  I checked
several manuals (but not the TR4 workshop manual) when we wrote the
articles. There were often discrepancies between different sources. I
think the accepted spec for a large accumulator is about 360 psi and 450
for a small accumulator.  The change to the small accumulator was made
to give a more gentle engagement for the IRS cars.  I can't remember
exactly what I did to get my large accumulator to 525.  Since the inner
spring doesn't do much, I may have used a small accumulator spring as
the inner spring or used a plug to shim the inner spring more than the
outer spring.  Sam and I should revise the article, if it only takes 1/4
inch to reach coil bind one must be very careful.
Larry

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive