fot

Re: [Fot] Electric connections

To: FoTTriumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Electric connections
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 23:17:35 +0000
---- Christopher Bock <SeaCubeCo@aol.com> wrote:
> Amici
>
> What is the best practice for electric connections, crimp or solder?

Just in case you haven't already gotten every possible response, my preference
is to do both.  Strip off the cheap plastic insulator (or buy uninsulated
terminals to start with), insert the wire so a little bit protrudes from the
crimp area, crimp firmly, then solder the protruding end.  Add some heat shrink
to cover the area and provide strain relief, the result will outlast you.

Years ago I worked for a company that installed minicomputer systems on board
seismic survey ships.  During a survey, those ships would set off the
equivalent of a keg (or more) of dynamite under the stern of the ship, every
5-8 seconds, for days on end.  Our factory used carefully calibrated ratcheting
crimpers and expensive connectors (gold plated in many cases).  And yet, almost
every trip I went out on, I found bad connections.  I learned to repair them
with the crimp plus solder method (using an ordinary hand crimper), never found
one of those that had failed (without extenuating circumstances, like the cable
ripped out of the housing).

Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com