fot

Re: [Fot] J-type overdrive reluctant to disengage

To: "'Barr, Scott'" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] J-type overdrive reluctant to disengage
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:38:18 -0500
Scott<
I would agree that it is not an electrical issue.  In order of ease in
troubleshooting:

1- The solenoid is fairly reliable in a J-Type but I have seen a couple of
them stick in the "on" position after power is removed.  This is a not good
situation because you could have the overdrive engage in reverse and destroy
the overdrive.  The best way to isolate this issue is with a pressure gauge
and ensure that the pressure drops to under 40 lbs with the power removed
from the solenoid.

2- Clogged release orifice is very possible but yes the overdrive would need
to come out.  For a race car this should have been opened up to 1-mm in
diameter for faster release of the overdrive.  This can be seen with a
pressure gauge.

3- Sticking cone clutch.... this is a very definite possibility and is very
common if the proper finish is created on the brake ring upon overhaul.

If needed you can remove the unit and bring it down a bit south to Silver
Lake, WI and I would be glad to tear it down and fix it.  I also have a
powered test stand for working on these units.

Steve Yott