fot

Re: [Fot] In The "Ghetto"

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] In The "Ghetto"
From: "Joe Guinan" <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:57:31 -0500
Bill,

What a perfect description of the use of the term!  I understand the phrase
now,
and appreciate your thoughtful reply.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:25:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: BillDentin@aol.com
To: joeg@neb.rr.com
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Kastner Cup Photos and a first question

In a message dated 09/09/2013 9:05:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
joeg@neb.rr.com writes:

> I have many questions after attending this event; but I'll start with one.
> Why do we call it the "Triumph Ghetto" when high class operations like the
> West Coast Crew in Tony Garmey's Ferrari Transporter, and so many others
are
> there?  And then you add high class people like Peggy and Kas? This is no
> "ghetto" scene, my friends.

Of course not, and for sure...there is no shortage of Class in the Triumph
Paddock.  But 'Triumph Ghetto' is certainly not used in a mean spirited
manner.  It is just an attempt at some self-depreciating, tongue in cheek
humor,
as well as a reference to our humble beginnings.

My dictionary defines ghetto as "a section of a city, especially a thickly
populated slum area, inhabited by members of an ethnic or other minority
group often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or
hardships."

In a way that can be used to describe us.  Back in the so-called 'Golden
Age', when Kas was just a kid, the paddock was full of full of exotic sports

cars, most of who's names ended in a vowel and cost wheel barrows full of
dollars.  TRIUMPHs were different.  They had a price tag that was reachable
(barely) by the common man.  Thus many people who bought TRIUMPHs, were folk

regularly challenged by economic restrictions, pressures, and other
hardships.
 But at those golden age events, they showed up..as the low budget, back
yard efforts they were, and clustered together.  No gold chains around their

necks, they were bonded brothers (and sisters), competing against the other,

more glamorous, well-funded racing efforts.  Heck, even Kas' TRIUMPH factory

backed effort was very 'low budget'.  But history documents the fact that
TRIUMPH's performance record was Top Shelf.  Based strictly on the number of

wins (volume), TRIUMPH can lay a claim to the most successful sports car
performance record of all time.  Consider, the performance of the TR4 caused

SCCA to change the way race cars were grouped at their events.

I suggest that these days, when the term Triumph Ghetto is used today, it
is just a reference to our humble, low budget beginnings.  And, let's face
it...some of that continues today.  Many of the vintage TRIUMPH racers I
know
have more than one place for every nickel they have available.  They scrimp
and save to be able to race at these events.  And just like back in the
day...they go FAST.

Bill Dentinger

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com