fot

Re: [Fot] Put-in-Bay races

To: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Put-in-Bay races
From: Joe Alexander <n197tr4@cs.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:17:45 -0500
Cc: fot Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-1865E25E-6E19-453A-8B16-A9E6B9215D68
        charset=us-ascii

Great report Duncan.

Many of us have not seen Cornell Babcock for a long time and glad he is stil=
l kicking about.

I'd like to go there once.

Joe

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 10, 2013, at 7:02 AM, Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com> w=
rote:

> This year's featured marques at the Put-in-Bay, Ohio vintage races (August=
 27-29th) were Turner, Morgan 3-wheelers and Triple-M MGs.  Put-in-Bay races=
 are for pre-1963 under-two liter cars and are run the old fashioned way, ar=
ound hay bales.  Great atmosphere -- one friend said he'd been going to vint=
age races for 25 years and this one was the best recreation of old-style rac=
ing.  There were about 40 racers, I think, but a lot of spectators, includin=
g the local islanders, came to watch the racing on the taxiway and runway at=
 the temporarily closed airport, and spectators were allowed a great view fr=
om up close at the airport terminal building.  The schedule for registered r=
acers and spectators was pretty full for three days straight although racing=
 occurred only on the second day because the airport is needed every day by t=
he mail plane and the plane that takes high school kids to their school on t=
he mainland (racing was on Wednesday). The local police led a quick two laps=
 around the original race course, run on the island's streets.  I drove that=
 5000+ foot-long straight many times and could barely imagine flying down th=
at long stretch, past people's front yards.  Corners were, of course, very t=
ight and trees and boulders lined the original course.  The awards luncheon w=
as on the second story of a restaurant situated right on the wharf, so we go=
t a great view of tall ships coming and going in preparation for the bicente=
nnial celebration of the battle of Put-in-Bay (a.k.a. the battle of Lake Eri=
e) where Admiral Perry defeated the British Fleet in 1813.
>=20
> Allen Goode put on a good show at the vintage road race revival at Put-in-=
Bay with his 1963  #44 TR4, coming in second to a Porsche RSK.  Nice folks -=
- I met him and his wife in the paddock where I had my Morgan 3-wheeler (I c=
ame in a distant last in the all-Morgan race in our stock V-twin powered Mor=
gan against modified Ford-powered Morgan trikes, two of which ran away from t=
he pre-war supercharged MGs).
>=20
> Local boy Rich Hahn got into the exhibition group with his '66 TR4 and Cor=
nell Babcock ran his '58 TR3.  Malcolm Taylor was there in a 1960 TR3 too.
>=20
> It was a long, long haul for us (coming from Texas) but perhaps I'll go ag=
ain someday, next time probably with our 1952 Morgan Plus 4.
nion Facebook page (link here:) http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f=20
>  --my photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/charl10/
> ...and there is more information at: pibroadrace.com
>=20
> Duncan Charlton
> 1952 Morgan Plus 4
> #6 red
om
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-1865E25E-6E19-453A-8B16-A9E6B9215D68
        charset=utf-8

iv><div>Many of us have not seen Cornell Babcock for a long time and glad he=
0, 2013, at 7:02 AM, Duncan Charlton &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duncan.charlton54=
ote type=3D"cite"><div>This year's featured marques at the Put-in-Bay, Ohio v=
intage races (August 27-29th) were Turner, Morgan 3-wheelers and Triple-M MG=
s. &nbsp;Put-in-Bay races are for pre-1963 under-two liter cars and are run t=
he old fashioned way, around hay bales. &nbsp;Great atmosphere -- one friend=
 said he'd been going to vintage races for 25 years and this one was the bes=
t recreation of old-style racing. &nbsp;There were about 40 racers, I think,=
 but a lot of spectators, including the local islanders, came to watch the r=
acing on the taxiway and runway at the temporarily closed airport, and spect=
ators were allowed a great view from up close at the airport terminal buildi=
ng. &nbsp;The schedule for registered racers and spectators was pretty full f=
or three days straight although racing occurred only on the second day becau=
se the airport is needed every day by the mail plane and the plane that take=
s high school kids to their school on the mainland (racing was on Wednesday)=
. The local police led a quick two laps around the original race course, run=
 on the island's streets. &nbsp;I drove that 5000+ foot-long straight many t=
imes and could barely imagine flying down that long stretch, past people's f=
ront yards. &nbsp;Corners were, of course, very tight and trees and boulders=
 lined the original course. &nbsp;The awards luncheon was on the second stor=
y of a restaurant situated right on the wharf, so we got a great view of tal=
l ships coming and going in preparation for the bicentennial celebration of t=
he battle of Put-in-Bay (a.k.a. the battle of Lake Erie) where Admiral Perry=
 good show at the vintage road race revival at Put-in-Bay with his 1963 &nbs=
p;#44 TR4, coming in second to a Porsche RSK. &nbsp;Nice folks -- I met him a=
nd his wife in the paddock where I had my Morgan 3-wheeler (I came in a dist=
ant last in the all-Morgan race in our stock V-twin powered Morgan against m=
odified Ford-powered Morgan trikes, two of which ran away from the pre-war s=
tion group with his '66 TR4 and&nbsp;Cornell Babcock ran his '58 TR3. &nbsp;=
t was a long, long haul for us (coming from Texas) but perhaps I'll go again=
v><div>Photos and links to photo sites are found at the&nbsp;Put-in-Bay Road=
 Races Reunion Facebook page (link here:)&nbsp;<span class=3D"Apple-style-sp=
an" style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; "><b><a href=3D"http://t=
v>&nbsp;--my photos here:&nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/charl=
e information at: <a href=3D"http://pibroadrace.com";>pibroadrace.com</a></di=