fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 manifold gaskets - Update

To: "'Scott Janzen'" <sjanzen@me.com>, "''Friends of Triumph' Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 manifold gaskets - Update
From: "Barry Munson" <barry@penybryn.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:46:10 -0600
Hi Scott - I use these gaskets on my Volvo P1800 race car, the TR3 and most
recently on the 1980 460 Ford motor in my tow vehicle where they solved a
whole bunch of "old" vehicle issues. So, as an initial use gasket, they are
an excellent product. WRT to the reuse issue, I have not had to try that,
yet. I did, however, speak to their technical people and asked that specific
question and the answer was that they do not market their gaskets as
reusable because they have a tendency to split in half when you remove the
manifolds, especially the exhaust. If you can remove the manifolds and leave
the gasket intact then they are reusable. Hmmmmmm - I guess that I agree
with Tony and would consider them as a one time use only and if you are
successful in removing the manifolds and leaving the gasket intact then it's
a bonus. Since they are expensive I guess it's a case of deciding what your
priority is - a gasket that seals exceptionally well or one that can be
reused. Ideally you would like both but with these gaskets it's a case of -
you pays your money and takes your chances.
Barry.