fot

Re: [Fot] aftermarket crank dampeners and pullies for TR4's

To: "'MadMarx'" <tr4racing@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] aftermarket crank dampeners and pullies for TR4's
From: "Van Mulders Marcel" <van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 01:14:17 +0100
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
I'm an experienced crankshaft breaker. When I started racing, I fitted the
narrow V-belt conversion together with the MGB crankshaft pulley/dampener.
This is the dampener sold by Moss Europe and also by Rimmer Bros UK, neither
of these companies are giving any explanation about the rpm range. Dampers
have their own natural oscillation, but it seems no one can tell what this
rpm is for this pulley.(Maybe this rpm is getting lower with the aging and
deteriorating of the bonding material). After some 10 races with this MGB
dampenenr, my standard, balanced but not nitrided, crankshaft broke at the
usual spot : the rearmost web near the 4th big end journal ( John Hasty has
sent a photo to Chris Marx, showing a crank broken at this spot). Then I
bought a billet steel crankshaft and raced it with the same MGB dampener :
this crankshaft broke after 5 race week ends (about 7 race hours) at the
same spot. I bought this steel crank from TR Enterprises, but the original
dealer is a german race parts supplier, who is trying to keep prices low,
sometimes this policy goes wrong : I know of 3 other failures of this same
make of steel cranks, one on an engine of Jo Willems, fitted with a damper.I
don't know if the 2 other broken cranks were raced with or without a damper.
In the meantime, TR Enterprises was aware of the bad quality of these
cranks, and I got free parts from them as a partial compensation, after the
german supplier had to agree that the crank was faulty. I appreciate a lot
what TR Enterprises(UK) has done.
Since 2007, I have a billet steel crank with dummy mains and 8 counter
weights in order to have the 4 cranks balanced on their own. After about 100
races, the crank is in best shape, notwithstanding the use of the MGB
dampener. A Mr Nuyts of Antwerp, Belgium, has made this crank for 1675 Euro,
a little more than half of the price of the german steel crank.
After reading all the comments, and the experience of Kas Kastner who did
not fit damper pulleys on his countless engines, without bad consequences,
I'll remove the MGB damper on my race engine and will fit the small
aluminium Gilmer pulleys, saving at least 4 lbs.
Marcel, Belgium