fot

Re: [Fot] Southwick bearing issue

To: "'Dave Hogye'" <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Southwick bearing issue
From: "Peter Vucinic" <pvucinic@netspace.net.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:46:26 +1000
Cc: 'Friends of Triumph' <Fot@autox.team.net>
Dave,
OK. That makes more sense now for that bearing type.
Fr the race to CRACK. There is something wrong with the FIT of the OUTER
ring in the housing. If it's a 'slide/clearance' fit into the axle
bore. The Bore may not be CIRCULAR nor PARALLEL. Worth checking for sure.,
AS the bearing outer ring, under load, will assume the shape of the bore it
is fitted into. If there is a stress point, there will be a fracture!

The inner ring will have a lot of flaked material rolled into it from the
crack etc. It's like driving over a pot hole for the balls.

You are quite correct about the bearing manufacturer being important. It is
the STEEL used that makes the most difference between the manufacturers.
There are of course issues with finish and clearance etc. But it's the
quality of the steel that is paramount.

Cheers and hope that helps

"You can Make a Small Fortune From Motor Racing. As long as You Started With
A Lage Fortune!"
Kind Regards
Peter Vucinic
TR-4