fot

[Fot] Recent accidents and such

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Recent accidents and such
From: Diesel Performance Parts - Info <info@dieselperformanceparts.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 09:29:31 -0500
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
To the complete FOT Membership,

Please take this e mail as it is intended and not how it may come across. E
mail is a terrible medium for how messages are received sometimes as you have
no human interaction etc etc.

The issue at Lime Rock is horrific, mostly because the family and friends are
the true losers. Plus it was potentially avoidable with the correct safety
gear. I am placing no blame on anyone. Heck, I might not make it home tonight
with Nashville traffic, but you can bet I am defensive and will be belted up
to make my odds as good as they can be. Being in a 7000 pound truck ain't
gonna hurt either.

As most of you know the old white Spit broke and axle 2 years ago and took a
180 roll over to the right and then 3.5 complete roll overs to the left,
that's correct to the left. Ending up on my head. I have the actual video and
when you frame by frame it is actually changes direction due to the roll cage
digging into the soft Savannah sand. I can also see my head snap a couple of
times due to the Hans doing its job. That Spit had a full cage vs just a roll
hoop. Now I know a LOT of you have hoops that are braced and such and are
probably totally fine. I however am a chicken and want the full safety of 4
uprights and complete bracing. As it turns out the complete cage on the car
was tweaked into a parallelogram after the accident.  What would have happened
if it had been a well-constructed hoop only.....who knows and I for one don't
intend to find out.

I am not the fastest driver and don't have the best motor, however I used a
Hans 2-3 years prior to them being required, I wear a three piece and undies,
yeah it's hot get over it. I got a 3 nozzle fire system and a 6 point best
system. All of this is a PITA and a waste right up until you need it. Sort of
like insurance just a waste of money...right????

I am not a preacher here, just care about all of you nutty vintage drivers
(yes even those that beat me on a regular basis) and need to vent about
safety. NONE of us is getting a ride with Penske anytime soon. We spend money
like drunk sailors on parts and pieces for the car, the tow vehicle and the
trailer to haul it all in, shouldn't the driver have the same luxury?? The
safety gear is actually quite economical and if cared for lasts a long time
(unless you get fat!!! I have to get that new suit!!!) so spend the money and
have it installed by a pro that knows what they are doing ( AKA Earnhardt's
belt angles) and then go out with the confidence of surviving most anything
that would happen.  I did and I did survive, wasn't even that sore the
following days.

I got a decent  business, an 8 year old a wife of almost 31 years and a pretty
great deal going on this ole earth and I suspect most of you do too or you
wouldn't have the time/money to go race to start with.  So get that car
prepped right in relation to safety, get the right safety gear and USE it each
and every time. I want all of you around so eventually I can beat your ass on
the track. I can't do that if you are not with us any longer.

Ok enough ranting I think I got it out of my system. For those of you that
actually know me I hear you saying " Yeah right...he'll ramble on forever".
Hope no one takes this as blaming anyone for the recent incidents. Remember
too that Lime Rock is a small track and relatively slow as compared to VIR or
Atlanta too. Think of that as you "study" your safety gear and how good it
needs to be based on the track/speed you can attain.

As the old saying says:
"How much is your butt worth to you and yours"?????????????????????

Mark Craig
Diesel Performance Parts, INC.
411 Allied Drive
Nashville, TN 37211