fot

Re: [Fot] steering wheel adaptor wanted

To: "Washatko, Allen" <awashatko@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] steering wheel adaptor wanted
From: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 03:42:54 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Enquiries Road & Track <enquiries@roadandtrack.net.au>, Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Thread-index: Md1jigd5vZhdUnDSJB9+mcXjdDqEVQ== s=q20140121; t=1412135101; bh=YwdBQ8AfZaJ/cJyGwamtRYiVJiFwwHZDL315UiKN/NY=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=p1Rf+ehHmL9SyOhwdWs6PkrmnBmGNbJKw8pRd9W/Yc2x1qCk6/Ane1oEem6yR3S90 VUdYRIEe5JT+fB/d+ICrErRZnEgXbm7Bsr/OSS0DM6jpf25XyleiAK+ke8Gnle8Y0j J6VlE3UPNFggTXL4oSNYdVVvWYF21AASXMNXzB6wWmgQC36LaqQctkUaHEoYfamrdP xg1QwcodWm881n4zfV6rnGVdE43bhvCe2eNdd6qlVq/sTbDdujm3oq9ua488XFIJpw eLz0y42+sSIGTRg1N5wnxC0Jk+bWgZx+840BOCvUgvVuKeZ72OgLNChvXFJDKMmCmj Hzvq/55yMq4wQ==
I'm pretty sure the quick release I used was a Moroso hex style purchased
through Summit.
It slipped over the TR3 steering shaft without shortening it. I could even
grind off the weld and put a stock wheel back on. I did take a little off the
hex fitting to get the wheel closer to the dash trim. Just enough for
comfortable finger clearance, yet extending my arms out as far as I could in
the short TR3 space.
I made a simple drawing of my adapter and a friend machined it. It's very
trick, but it has thickness of 3/4"-1", if I remember correctly. I could have
eliminated the need the take material of the hex adaptor had I used a piece of
sheet.
I've seen simple adaptors made of aluminum, say 1/8" thick. Easy enough to work
without the need of a lathe.
The hex adaptor does have a bit of play in it, but there are more precision
spline types available. Get the quick release first. Then figure out the rest.

Dave H.