fot

[Fot] Regarding "Your message to Fot awaits moderator approval"

To: FOT <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fot] Regarding "Your message to Fot awaits moderator approval"
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:54:58 -0600
A number of you have gotten automated messages from the Team.Net mailman server
over the
last day or so with this subject.  Basically there are three common reasons for
this.

1. "post by a non-member" - This happens when you use more than one email
address. For example
say you were added to the list as drone@major.corp.com at the beginning. And at
some point you
are sending mail from your student@diploma.mill.edu to the list. The second
address is unknown
to Mailman, so it flags the message as from a non-member.  Remember, YOU are
not a member as far
as the server is concerned, your email address is.  If I can figure out that
the sender really is
someone on the list, I can add the second address to a list of approved folks,
and you'll be set.
Just did one a few minutes ago.

2. "Too many recipients to the message" - This caught a number of you with
Bill's message about
the passing of Wismer. ( Sniff. ) A lot of spammers, especially those who
hijack some list members
account, will send their spam to a long list of addresses. To counteract this,
there is a fairly
low limit to how many address besides fot appear in the "To:" list. And when
you do a "reply all"
it includes all those addresses and adds the original sender to the list. So if
you don't manually
trim down the recipient list to just fot@... it can get caught by Mailman. I
went through and approved
all the ones for FOT, will check again after my afternoon stroll.

3. "message too big" - There is a size limit on messages. This is due to the
fact that most mailers
include the entire original message in a reply. And most people don't edit them
out, or their device
makes it really difficult to do so.  Someone sends out a message asking "What
color is your car?"
Basically what happens is something like this:

>>> Mine is green
>> Mine is white

And eventually the size of the messages goes over the limit.

I do try to keep on top of the held messages for this list, but sometimes it
takes me a while to get
to it. Some of the very low traffic lists can go weeks or months without me
cleaning up the admin
cruft. Currently there are 16,066 held messages waiting for my inspection. Fun.
 But the vast majority
are obvious spam and quickly removed. But it does take some time for the man
behind the curtain to
deal with keeping Team.Net flowing.  Or in the case of AOL, Hotmail and some
others, flowing as well
as the DMARC mess will let it flow.  It's always something.

mjb.
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive