fot

Re: [Fot] Intake / Exhaust manifold mating surfaces to head---THANKS

To: John Styduhar <johnstydo@gmail.com>,Dan Cronin <adcronin@mi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Intake / Exhaust manifold mating surfaces to head---THANKS
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com> mail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 14:57:40 -0500
Cc: FOT List Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
A little more on port matching - what Jack found working on the flow
bench is that if you open up the intake runner ID too quickly you
kill the flow through the manifold.  The air delaminates from the
surface and becomes turbulent.  You need to keep the change in ID to
under 7 degrees of taper.  Also, look at the port in the head - some
of them had a ball mill shoved in for a short distance and the inner
port diameter is much smaller.  In that case you may be better off
adding epoxy to the port in the head to make it more of a straight shot.

He also found that a step from smaller diameter to larger diameter in
the direction of flow wasn't very harmful to overall flow.
http://www.tonydrews.com/uncle_jacks_engine_building_tips.htm#Head

Tony Drews

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com