fot

Re: [Fot] Crank pulley spacer question

To: "don@dcphotos.com" <don@dcphotos.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crank pulley spacer question
From: Bob Kramer via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:02:06 +0000
Cc: don--- via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Don,

It shouldn't affect torque and unless there is a reason to worry that the bolt
might come loose, or the spaces was collapsing under the torque,  I would reuse
it.
Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com

---- don--- via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
> Greetings to all,
I am in the process of rebuilding or re- rebuilding as the case my be, this
large crank 1300
Spitfire motor. Iâ??m trying to find out why whoever built this motor put a
â??spacerâ?? between
the crankshaft pulley and the crankshaft nut. Itâ??s more like a large steel
washer about 1/4â?? to 3/8â?? thick.

The nut seems to torque down without it. With it on, all the threads inside the
nut do not reach the
threads of the crankshaft. If the threads of the shaft do not engage all the
threads in the crank nut can I really get proper torque?

I reached out to John Nikas who had the motor built (I think) and he said the
builder has passed away
and that he must have put it there for a reason.

I can send a pic to anyone who wants to see if that will help in figuring this
out.

Thanks in advance,

Don

DON COUCH PHOTOGRAPHY