fot

Re: [Fot] Synchros

To: marty <trmarty@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Synchros
From: Jason Ostrowski via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:06:22 -0500
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>

--001a11423370a812fa051297c73c

If you must for some reason use a GT6 gearbox:
If it looks good and everything seems in order I would use it without doubt.
For whatever reason, by comparison I have gotten the most miles out of good
old "barn find" unworked gt6 transmissions.
I've had many of them built by "the best".
Although It seems contrary to our greater "never be beaten by equipment"
philosophy...
The unworked original crappy ones have gone longer (for me) than the
"professionally serviced" new gear (usuallyTR7) and sychro ones.
In my own program, since I have to take them out after every race (Third
gear is usually all but toasted), I stopped spending the $ money on the
gearbox rebuilds and focused more on finding and using several good older
ones.
I can use the gearbox for the same amount of time for much less $.
Since I am struggling to survive in this sport of wealthy kings...
Its nice to SOMETIMES find the cheap way works.

Note: Friendly Ghost Racing is not responsible for recommending these risky
and absurd transmission choices of using a "barn find" unit. We only do
these things because the trans will break soon anyway.

Cheers!
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 7:50 AM, marty via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I have a GT6 transmission of unknown history. Visually it looks in really
> good shape internally. Am considering doing a refresh with new bearings and
> synchros. I did some reading on the archives and while most of the post are
> from a while ago I get the impression that the synchros made now (or then
> anyhow) were of poor quality and that the original were much better and if
> you didn't need to change them it was best to leave the old one in place.
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marty

--001a11423370a812fa051297c73c

div>If it looks good and everything seems in order I would use it without d=
oubt.</div><div>For whatever reason, by comparison I have gotten the most m=
iles out of good old &quot;barn find&quot; unworked gt6 transmissions.</div=
though It seems contrary to our greater &quot;never be beaten by equipment&=
quot; philosophy...</div><div>The unworked original crappy ones have gone l=
onger (for me) than the &quot;professionally serviced&quot; new gear (usual=
lyTR7)=C2=A0and sychro ones.</div><div>In my own program, since I have to t=
ake them out after every race (Third gear is usually all but toasted), I st=
opped spending the $ money on the gearbox rebuilds and focused more on find=
ing and using several good older ones.</div><div>I can use the gearbox for =
the same amount of time for much less $.</div><div>Since I am struggling to=
 survive in this sport of wealthy kings...</div><div>Its nice to SOMETIMES =
ing is not responsible for recommending these risky and absurd transmission=
 choices of using a &quot;barn find&quot;=C2=A0unit. We only do these thing=
ar 30, 2015 at 7:50 AM, marty via Fot <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:fot@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;</span> =
wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bord=
er-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

y it looks in really good shape internally. Am considering=C2=A0doing a ref=
resh with new bearings and synchros. I did some reading on the archives and=
 while most of the post are from a while ago I get the impression that the =
synchros made now (or then anyhow) were of poor quality and that the origin=
al were much better and if you didn&#39;t need to change them it was best t=
o leave=C2=A0the old one in place.=C2=A0 Thoughts?=C2=A0<br>
=C2=A0<br>
=C2=A0<br>
ng.com</a><br>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>