fot

Re: [Fot] tire rotation

To: "'Kas Kastner'" <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] tire rotation
From: Marcel Van Mulders via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:57:33 +0200
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

--===============4153819917117907361==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0003_01D07DAC.370E8610"

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D07DAC.370E8610
        charset="us-ascii"

Kas wrote : "I only tried rotation one time ... and it was a disaster to the
handling".
Are we all that stupid then?  Absolutely not, we are amateur racers and it
should stay that way. In racing are countless factors  influencing the
laptimes. As amateurs, we only use part of these and forget about the rest
because of no time, no money, too lazy,... This is contrary to professional
racing and especially races with all identical cars : winning is (even more)
important there and you can't win if you don't see and take advance of all
the opportunities.In amateur racing, when you are down on power, or you are
loosing time by slow overtaking, you can compensate and gain laptime and
still win or have a good result by taking advance of other opportunities,
for instance by not rotating the tyres. When you are judging it's about time
to rotate the tyres : think about it : on what corner will that left rear
tyre perform at it's best in the next race? At the left rear of course,
because the load distribution in the contact patch tyre/tarmac will be worse
on every other corner of the car. After a few laps it will even out more or
less. So laptimes will be down after rotating, but will recover after a few
laps, but not to the full. When we buy new tyres, the old tyres are never
used to the same degree, rotation or not. We keep the best tyre and throw it
away after 10 years. You don't have to agree, this is amateur racing, you
are free to think otherwise with the same right. No one of us is going to
check laptimes to figure it out, and if he does, we still can contest the
circumstances of his tests and have an arguement and drink a pint or two.
Marcel

  _____