fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire timing?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire timing?
From: Jim Norlin <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 19:07:13 -0700
References: <94AA7993-1E6A-4B50-9EE6-F41C368100B5@comcast.net> <CE2CEE09-9D61-42AE-B54A-BCEFE8D96167@comcast.net> s=q20140121; t=1433297236; bh=XtVlsFdsMSbu3eqrAx0e4SxPoqknud1U/bLhAoNuto8=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=sRv83EeTM4rhp25hu6Q8d5a0QB1TtFZ1yk3fucj1Ytdc/JLJ3b99DkXdC6b1gwOIq 2jTVXvA50+qqGfD3qrXL/U/OQgyX5FWK/x0Ssh+gaLNrGvODZ91TiC42bhdo7Laq1U cqJZ2BmA8pFA+wdv2Z3ZmuiC7BYESIDkz/L+7D7Z0iDHyGYz43EH3S1u7DIdGyBMQe NlV1SDpTtrsq2TFRxvhVeIATDRLlWQ1hnkDuBg4v5Iz//+421xdmfzLUy8JpjelBJf 1fmt9KsRPVpSpl40XWHBbUgQxAZe9LVAvGC1f5CyYUI7Wul2pG8V7TkmUGREFXXLAl 4iJzHwE/OF26w==
--===============1096427882396640526==
 boundary="------------010107070607060602030601"

--------------010107070607060602030601

I'm going off of memory from the last dyno run which is always a
dangerous thing - memory, not the dyno.

Our 1300 is prepped to SCCA HP limited prep rules - 11:1 compression,
Kastner A8 cam, Sunoco 110 leaded fuel.  We made initial pulls at 36
degrees and then played around a bit.  We made slightly more power by
advancing up to 42 degrees but we all agreed (engine builder, dyno
operator and me) that backing back down into the 30's in the interest of
engine reliability made sense.  I think we ended up at 38, but it may
have been 36.  Guess I ought to check, but then the engine is out of the
car right now.

BTW, in my opinion, chassis dyno time with an experienced operator is
the cheapest horsepower and best assurance that your timing and A/F
mixture is set right.

Jim

On 6/2/2015 6:05 PM, Bud R wrote:
> Thanks for all the comments on timing.
>
> The source of the 48 timing number indicated that was a typo and they
> meant 38 degrees total advance and going down from there until no
> detonation. Sorry about that.
>
> I was just curious as Kas?  spitfire competition manual says 32 max or
> there will be detonation. Which is where I have it set now with no
> detonation.
>
> The car is going on the dyno on Tuesday so hopefully once the carb
> (DCOE 40) is dialed in we will get the timing to where the engine
> likes it best.
>
> Thanks
> Bud
>

> Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
>
> 71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
> 71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
> 69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
> 93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
> 77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Bud Rolofson <levilevi@comcast.net
>
>> Amici,
>>
>> What timing setting are you Spitfire racers using? I've seen
>> suggestions from 32 degrees total advance to 48.
>> Thanks
>> Bud
>>
>> Sent from Vail pass 10881 ft elevation. Will be back home in a couple
>> hours from our Utah National Park tour in the RV.
>>

>> Sent from my Commodore 64

--------------010107070607060602030601

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    I'm going off of memory from the last dyno run which is always a
    dangerous thing - memory, not the dyno.<br>
    Our 1300 is prepped to SCCA HP limited prep rules - 11:1
    compression, Kastner A8 cam, Sunoco 110 leaded fuel.  We made
    initial pulls at 36 degrees and then played around a bit.  We made
    slightly more power by advancing up to 42 degrees but we all agreed
    (engine builder, dyno operator and me) that backing back down into
    the 30's in the interest of engine reliability made sense.  I think
    we ended up at 38, but it may have been 36.  Guess I ought to check,
    but then the engine is out of the car right now.<br>
    BTW, in my opinion, chassis dyno time with an experienced operator
    is the cheapest horsepower and best assurance that your timing and
    A/F mixture is set right.   <br>
    Jim<br>
      cite="mid:CE2CEE09-9D61-42AE-B54A-BCEFE8D96167@comcast.net"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
      The source of the 48 timing number indicated that was a typo and
      they meant 38 degrees total advance and going down from there
      until no detonation. Sorry about that.
        32 max or there will be detonation. Which is where I have it set
        now with no detonation.</div>
        carb (DCOE 40) is dialed in we will get the timing to where the
        engine likes it best.</div>
            font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px; font-style: normal;
            font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing:
            normal; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto;
            text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
            word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
            border-collapse: separate; orphans: 2; widows: 2;
            border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect:
            none;">
              -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span
                class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans: 2; text-align:
                -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;
                -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                  space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span
                    class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans: 2;
                    text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows:
                    2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                      -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break:
                      after-white-space;"><span class="Apple-style-span"
                        style="orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto;
                        text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;
                        -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                          -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break:
                          after-white-space;"><span
                            class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans: 2;
                            text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px;
                            widows: 2;
                            -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                              -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
                              -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span
                                class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans:
                                2; text-align: -webkit-auto;
                                text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;
                                -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect:
                                none;">
                                  -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
                                  -webkit-line-break:
                                  after-white-space;"><span
                                    class="Apple-style-span"
                                    style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px;
                                    widows: 2;
                                    -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect:
                                    none;">
                                      -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
                                      -webkit-line-break:
                                      after-white-space;"><span
                                        class="Apple-style-span"
                                        style="orphans: 2; text-indent:
                                        0px; widows: 2;
                                        -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect:
                                        none;">
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;"><br
                                              class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;"><br>
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">Extreme Parts
                                            Racing (more than just a
                                            haircut)</div>
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;"><br>
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">71 Spitfire MK IV Race
                                            Car #3</div>
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">69 Spitfire MK III
                                            (back up FE engine/dinghy
                                            car)</div>
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">93 Minnie Winnie Race
                                            Support Vehicle </div>
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">77 Z-50A Hardly
                                            Davidson Honda Mini-Trail
                                            Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)</div>
                                          separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
                                          font-family: Helvetica;
                                          font-size: 12px; font-style:
[...]
            rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px;
            font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight:
            normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal;
            orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
            text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto;
            word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">
              moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:levilevi@comcast.net";>levilevi@comcast.net</a>&gt;
            wrote:</div>
            What timing setting are you Spitfire racers using? I've seen
            suggestions from 32 degrees total advance to 48. <br>
            Thanks<br>
            Bud<br>
            Sent from Vail pass 10881 ft elevation. Will be back home in
            a couple hours from our Utah National Park tour in the RV.<br>
            Sent from my Commodore 64</blockquote>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.fot-racing.com";>http://www.fot-racing.com</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com