fot

Re: [Fot] Differential gear oil?

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Differential gear oil?
From: "Enquiries Road & Track" <enquiries@roadandtrack.net.au>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 08:50:21 +1000

--001a11403caef13cd00518e6c084

The diff and gearbox oils are definitely different if you want either/both
to last as they should

On our race Triumphs we normally use 85-140 diff oil . This used to be
called EP85-140 (EP for extreme pressure), but nowdays they drop the EP and
just say GL5. All the big brands have this grade, as its commonly used in
light commercial vehicles.

The brass syncro gearboxes cannot handle most GL5 rated oils for long.
Sulphur compounds in the additive package erodes the brass materials. There
are endless articles floating around about this, and i can support it from
decades of experience overhauling gearboxes. GL4 oils dont have the same
additive package and are just fine. Pick a brand you like. Some suppliers,
like Redline, make special note of this on their spec sheets. Under no
circumstance use Redline Shockprooof Green.. you will have zero syncros
withing 12 months

Terry O"Beirne

--===============7684051852141891180==

fot@autox.team.net