fot

Re: [Fot] What are you working on?

To: Greg And Alison Blake <ablake2@austin.rr.com>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>, Michael Moore <mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] What are you working on?
From: dustin nicholson <nicholsondustin@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 07:28:40 -0700
Greg, I also haven't raced the Spitfire since February and am also getting
ready for Texas World Speedway in 2 weeks.  Yesterday I finished the install of
my "newâ?? one piece competition axles and hardy spicer u joints.  The axles
are new to me.  I upgraded to long wheel studs.  Replaced the pinion seal in
the diff.  Rebuilt the brakes and got new tires.  Tried to take it for a test
drive yesterday and the starter is fried.  I push started it and ran it around
the block.  The good news is my intermittent low speed rear wheel wobble seems
to be fixed although I never really identified what was causing it.  The bad
news is that the car ran fine for a couple minutes and then decided to sputter
and try to die while I limped it home.  Could be the battery getting weak as
the tach started reading too low and then totally stopped working about a
minute before it started running bad, the battery hasnâ??t been charged in 5
months and I donâ??t have an alternator
 so itâ??s probably pretty weak.  Or it could be starving for gas as it was low
when I parked it in the spring.  When I shut it off the back bowl was about
half full, the front bowl was a quarter full or less.

It was amazing how stubborn some of the parts where.  I suspect the u-joints
hadnâ??t been replaced in a few decades, Iâ??ll bet I spent 6 hours fighting
them just to get the old ones out.  One of them I ended up having to drill and
cut the cap to pieces.  I also had a terrible time getting the new wheel studs
to seat.  The first two where so difficult that it took my full body weight on
a 4â?? cheater bar.  I broke off one of the new studs and bent another.  Good
thing I had extras.  I ended up grinding the teeth down just little which got
them in with a reasonable amount of force.  I think they are tight enough,
weâ??ll see.  Also one of my trunnion bolts on the suspension upright at the
hub was so stuck that I never did get it out after hours of trying.  Apparently
the bolt can become a part of the sleeve after a few decades of rusting, Iâ??ve
learned this is common.  I found a â??junkâ?? upright in my stash of spares and
although it looked just as
 rusted it came apart easily and is now on my new axle.  I imagine my alignment
is pretty far off as I can see the toe in.  Iâ??ll be in England from tomorrow
until the day before the race, but I think Iâ??ll be ready for TWS more or less.

Joe Alexander, this is the rainbow colored Spitfire that I bought from Tom
Chandler 2 years ago.  Thanks for helping me find it, although it's been more
of a project than I expected... no surprise for an old racecar that's been
sitting up for 20 years, right?

Dusty Nicholson
1971 FP Spitfire #4