fot

Re: [Fot] Rotor run out

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Rotor run out
From: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 13:06:47 -0700
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>

--001a1140fa92787fd6051fa67f92

I had this done last month on my Q50S Infiniti after my two long trips to
the East. It seemed like it did not take any time at all to complete the
job and it brought the brakes back to a new condition.

*Never be beaten by equipment.*

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> > I've looked at their lathe and I don't think it
> > could do it while the rotors are still attached to the hub,
> > but I could be wrong. If you do this, do you also remove the
> > bearing race to avoid damage from the operation?
>
> There is a special unit for machining rotors "on the car".  The standard
> bearings are used, with the clearances snugged up if
> possible.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2ECRu6Jf4
>
> As a side comment, I installed a new rotor on my street TR3 the other
> day.  First trial installation on the hub produced about .010"
> TIR runout.  After I cleaned up the hub a bit where the rotor sits, I put
> the rotor back 180 degrees away from where it was before,
> and was careful to torque the bolts to the same torque (I just used an
> impact gun the first time).  Result was about .0015" TIR.
>
> Since I don't have a lift, I mount a spare vertical link & spindle in the
> bench vise for testing.  (This is an old photo, not the
> new rotor obviously.)
> http://goo.gl/F0xsX0
>
> -- Randall

--001a1140fa92787fd6051fa67f92

my two long trips to the=C2=A0East. It seemed like it did not take any time=
 at all to complete the job and it brought the brakes back to a new conditi=
an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:TR3driver@ca.rr.com"; target=3D"_blank"=
ote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex=
">&gt; I&#39;ve looked at their lathe and I don&#39;t think it<br>
&gt; could do it while the rotors are still attached to the hub,<br>
&gt; but I could be wrong. If you do this, do you also remove the<br>
&gt; bearing race to avoid damage from the operation?<br>
There is a special unit for machining rotors &quot;on the car&quot;.=C2=A0 =
The standard bearings are used, with the clearances snugged up if<br>
possible.<br>
 rel=3D"noreferrer">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DfD2ECRu6Jf4</a><br>
As a side comment, I installed a new rotor on my street TR3 the other day.=
=C2=A0 First trial installation on the hub produced about .010&quot;<br>
TIR runout.=C2=A0 After I cleaned up the hub a bit where the rotor sits, I =
put the rotor back 180 degrees away from where it was before,<br>
and was careful to torque the bolts to the same torque (I just used an impa=
ct gun the first time).=C2=A0 Result was about .0015&quot; TIR.<br>
Since I don&#39;t have a lift, I mount a spare vertical link &amp; spindle =
in the bench vise for testing.=C2=A0 (This is an old photo, not the<br>
new rotor obviously.)<br>
//goo.gl/F0xsX0</a><br>
-- Randall<br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>