fot

[Fot] Stand 21 Lid Lifter

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Stand 21 Lid Lifter
From: "Barry Munson" <barry@penybryn.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:36:42 -0600
Amici - Every now and again someone comes up with an idea that, in its
simplicity, defies logic why someone hasn't thought of it before...

At our last event we had a serious incident where a RX7 spun into an inside
concrete wall hitting the driver's side with an impact substantial enough
that the driver's head hit the padded front extension of the roll cage with
the resulting loss of consciousness. It took a while for the rescue crew to
extract him from the car and then remove his helmet. The driver suffered a
slight concussion and was retained in the hospital for observation and was
back at the track the next day.
This event lead to us receiving a presentation and demonstration at the
Drivers Meeting the following day conducted by the leader of the national
rescue crew that we have at all our events and the subject was issues
surrounding the removal of the helmet from an injured driver especially ones
with a suspected head/neck injury. To assist responders in removing a helmet
the presentation included devices such as an inflatable bag which is
complicated, somewhat cumbersome and single use. The demonstration
introduced us to the Stand 21 Lid Lifter.
This is simply a balaclava with an attached web strap the goes over the head
and terminates with handles that extend below the base of each side of the
helmet. To remove the helmet the chin strap is undone or cut, the handles
are pulled to the side and up and the helmet slides off with no pressure
being placed on the neck. Simple and reusable.
The Stand 21, is a 2-layer balaclava made of flame retardant material and is
made in France. It has FIA and SFI approvals. It is available at most of the
race equipment companies and costs $129.00, somewhat pricey but try paying
for it in Canadian $.....
I was somewhat concerned that it might be uncomfortable under a tight
fitting helmet so when mine arrived I put it on with my helmet and walked
around the house for an hour - spousal comments have been deleted for
obvious reasons. It was very comfortable and I didn't even notice that it
was there.

I have absolutely NFI, however like HANS, it's just a really good idea.

Barry.
.

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com