fot

Re: [Fot] Cometic Head Gaskets

To: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler1947@yahoo.com>, "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cometic Head Gaskets
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 13:51:00 -0600
They may work, or may not.  The biggest problem is that the fire ring
doesn't have the "mouse ears" that the composite gasket does, so if
the head is milled and the intake valve pocket is uncovered, the fire
ring intrudes into that.  At Road America, Joe / Shawn's car had a
major head gasket leak and the source was the intake valve pocked on
#4 cylinder going slightly outside the fire ring on that gasket.  Pop
the head, drop a Payen composite on and we had a GREAT battle afterwards.

I'm running the same gasket this year, will be going back to the
composite one.  I think I've got a very slight head gasket leak, I
always end up with pressure in the radiator after a race weekend.  If
the head has less milled and still has the intake valve shrouded they
should work much better.

Cheers, Tony Drews