fot

[Fot] Dipstick stories and borescopes

To: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@gmail.com>
Subject: [Fot] Dipstick stories and borescopes
From: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:57:00 -0400
Cc: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_EC7A24C7-9F49-4E5F-A2E9-EFD254AE1F7E

Ok, so here's the embarrassing follow-up story.  I did not buy a =
borescope, figured I'd try fiddling with the dipstick one more time and =
then pull the engine out (fortunately just the long block, nothing else =
bolted on yet) and fix the oil pan baffle that I must have installed in =
the wrong position somehow.

Stuck the dipstick in the hole in the block, it hit metal.  Tried =
rotating it, no help.  Went to pull the dipstick out of the other engine =
in the garage, figured I'd try that, and looking at the other engine I =
immediately knew what was wrong.

Went back to my parts bench where all the disassembled car parts sit, =
found the dipstick and dipstick tube that I'd pulled out of the engine =
back in November and put them in.  Everything worked fine.  Figure it =
out yet?

I had been trying to install a spare dipstick siting on the bench, =
without a dipstick tube, and had been inserting that directly into the =
block, and hitting the bottom of the pan. =20

The missing part - the dipstick tube!  Good for about 4" of dipstick =
depth - of course the dipstick was hitting something!

It's a wonder I get anything done.  Sometimes, after a long day in the =
garage, the powers of observation are apparently weak.

What a dipstick,

Scott=

--Apple-Mail=_EC7A24C7-9F49-4E5F-A2E9-EFD254AE1F7E

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Ok, so here's the embarrassing =
follow-up story. &nbsp;I did not buy a borescope, figured I'd try =
fiddling with the dipstick one more time and then pull the engine out =
(fortunately just the long block, nothing else bolted on yet) and fix =
the oil pan baffle that I must have installed in the wrong position =
it hit metal. &nbsp;Tried rotating it, no help. &nbsp;Went to pull the =
dipstick out of the other engine in the garage, figured I'd try that, =
and looking at the other engine I immediately knew what was =
the disassembled car parts sit, found the dipstick and dipstick =
tube&nbsp;that I'd pulled out of the engine back in November and put =
them in. &nbsp;Everything worked fine. &nbsp;Figure it out =
dipstick siting on the bench, without a dipstick tube, and had been =
inserting that directly into the block, and hitting the bottom of the =
tube! &nbsp;Good for about 4" of dipstick depth - of course the dipstick =
anything done. &nbsp;Sometimes, after a long day in the garage, the =

--Apple-Mail=_EC7A24C7-9F49-4E5F-A2E9-EFD254AE1F7E--

--===============0756053134546432818==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive