fot

Re: [Fot] Tractor motors

To: Mordy Dunst <gasket.works@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tractor motors
From: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 20:31:43 -0700
Cc: FOT <FOT@autox.team.net>

--001a1140fff0b41977052eff7156

Just for the record, in the hundred or so engines I made with the figure 8
seals, I just wiped each gasket on both sides with a little grease, a
really thin coat, never had a leaker.

*Never be beaten by equipment.*

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Mordy Dunst <gasket.works@gte.net> wrote:

> Realistically, loading a cylinder sleeve at 105 ft lbs of axial clamping
> load onto a copper figure of eight ring at the bottom is likely adequate
> for sealing.  The coolant pressure inside the block is perhaps 12-22psi.  I
> currently do however put a dressing under the sleeve.  Hylomar M is what I
> use as it is very thin once applied.  Gasket shellac is arguably just as
> good.  The key is a thin coat. Most all sealants get pressed out of the
> pocket anyways.  I was thinking that a future iteration of a cylinder
> sleeve I would experiment with a silicon or viton oring placed at the
> bottom of the cylinder sleeve which has an imbedded groove.  This however
> is more of a thought experiment and is more than is really needed.
> Alternatively, I was also thinking of cutting some rings made from thin
> teflon sheet and place it on the underside of the sleeves with the figure
> of eight gaskets.
> mordy

--001a1140fff0b41977052eff7156

ith the figure 8 seals, I just wiped each gasket on both sides with a littl=
e grease, a really thin coat, never had a leaker.</div><div class=3D"gmail_=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-le=
ft:1ex"><font color=3D"black" face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D=
"2">

er sleeve at 105 ft lbs of axial clamping load onto a copper figure of eigh=
t ring at the bottom is likely adequate for sealing.=C2=A0 The coolant pres=
sure inside the block is perhaps 12-22psi.=C2=A0 I currently do however put=
 a dressing under the sleeve.=C2=A0 Hylomar M is what I use as it is very t=
hin once applied.=C2=A0 Gasket shellac is arguably just as good.=C2=A0 The =
key is a thin coat. Most all sealants get pressed out of the pocket anyways=
.=C2=A0 I was thinking that a future iteration of a cylinder sleeve I would=
 experiment with a silicon or viton oring placed at the bottom of the cylin=
der sleeve which has an imbedded groove.=C2=A0 This however is more of a th=
ought experiment and is more than is really needed.=C2=A0 Alternatively, I =
was also thinking of cutting some rings made from thin teflon sheet and pla=
ce it on the underside of the sleeves with the figure of eight gaskets.=C2=
mordy<br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=