fot

Re: [Fot] Road America; Sports Car Digest

To: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net> a=RRjQTCoA71g3fdVLRcO5DA==:117 a=RRjQTCoA71g3fdVLRcO5DA==:17 a=L9H7d07YOLsA:10 a=9cW_t1CCXrUA:10 a=s5jvgZ67dGcA:10 a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 a=ayC55rCoAAAA:8 a=b4TgfONAAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=JcvzPq48AAAA:8 a=Xc1OZmS59g1UJ48M36oA:9 a=GVlEYK1lbXiexlHn:21 a=Pd1NJ8EFZckSqbI8:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=-SnbsHUpkJWANq5vjIEA:9 a=78aGv5C9R0PinUhn:21 a=zyM6OuLtqgZ8tLwJ:21 a=sKdfXN-OR3T5ylQY:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=VOW5rJRXBamZ5z19bD7L:22 a=B_RyunTPg8udlmYm5Cu2:22 a=zdtUnOhAxJAf4MbA-fNX:22 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 a=583lFiaoEu_1o58ccHmG:22
Subject: Re: [Fot] Road America; Sports Car Digest
From: Allen Washatko <awashatko@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 21:50:25 -0500
Cc: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-8548447A-463C-4821-ACFC-BE2A8BC4FCD4
        charset=utf-8

Thanks for the heads up Dave!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 24, 2016, at 6:19 PM, davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net> wrote:
>=20
> If any of you folks aren't subscribed to the online magazine, Sports Car D=
igest, I would highly recommend it.
> There is terrific written and photographic coverage of vintage race events=
 world wide. =20
> Photos of Jason's and Allen's cars are included, as well as Tony G's McLar=
en at RA.
> The subscription is free and comes about once a week.
>=20
> // Dave H.
>=20
>=20
kend I have had in 21 years. I finally had the opportunity to do the drive i=
nto town for the Friday night race car concourse. As a spectator, it is a th=
rilling event. As a participant, it is incredible. They estimated that there=
 were 20,000 people lining the streets. We were honored with a =E2=80=9CFirs=
t Reserve=E2=80=9D trophy in Class F for the Triumph.
>=20
> On Saturday, we set a new best lap time of 2:45.2.=20
>=20
> On Sunday, we placed first in class during the feature race.
>=20
> The range of driving skill that is allowed to run this event became an iss=
ue for me during the weekend. During a qualifying race on Saturday, a Porsch=
e #80, overcooked the brakes coming into 5, turned the car 180 degrees, and a=
s he entered the turn mid track RELEASED his brakes and went straight throug=
h the turn at high speed. Fortunately, I saw the smoke from the braking in m=
y left mirror and decided to go straight rather than turning for the apex. T=
he Porsche flew by missing me by 6 feet. At the next run, i found him sidewa=
ys in the Kink with long skid marks leading to his stationary car. I would h=
ighly suggest a driving school for this individual.
>=20
> I want to thank Richard and Dan Gehweiler for making this weekend so succe=
ssful. It was truly a team effort which makes all the effort that much more m=
eaningful. And thanks Jason for helping us out with the hardware.
>=20
> Best,
>=20
> Allen=20
>=20
>  =20
> Jody & Allen Washatko
> W51 N664 Highland Drive
> Cedarburg, WI 53012
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > On Jul 18, 2016, at 11:18 PM, Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com> w=
rote:
> >=20
> > Well, my feelings and results are a mixed bag of high and low.
> > In general the weekend was a flurry of activity... The event was deep in=
 competition, dollars and activity; In so many ways.
> > The atmosphere at this race is as rich as it gets for the glacial hills o=
f Wisconsin.
> > Beauty of folks, machines, and nature were in bounty.
> > The 50 year celebration of Can -Am was rather glorious; and made any loc=
al race you may be used to, seem like a crappy slot car track in your Buddy'=
s basement.
> > Our own Tony Garmey was out and quite pointy at sharp end of the Grid.
> > He was deep in the middle of a multi million dollar battle of the big bo=
ys.
> > He held his own in all the sessions and raced to the very front of the a=
ction. He hung on to the top five in a field of some 50 machines of power, w=
ealth and mechanical excellence.
> > The racing in the can-am was simply Phenomenal.
> > In the end it was the 1974 UOP Shadows that took away the big Kitty; win=
ning the feature race and the stealing both the visual and speed prize for t=
he entire weekend... proving that the last years of the Can Am were indeed a=
 thing of special greatness.
> >=20
> > All in all, the level of preparation and the standard fare in every race=
 group was top notch.
> > A clean lap in most groups was rather rare due to high volume as well as=
 obvious differences in driver ability.
> > The Triumphs:
> > There were only 3 Triumphs at the HUGE event.
> > I'd have to Give the cup to Allen W. In his wonderful red TR6. he finish=
ed all his sessions and ran well all weekend. He took first prize in the dow=
ntown Racecar  beauty contest driving back to the track with the prestigious=
 Blue Ribbon in his concourse class!
> > Well shown and well raced>>>A+ indeed!
> > I can't believe my own luck... or lack there of.
> > I was really fast in my qualifying sessions. I was actually taking it ea=
sy and trying to save my car for a real Porsche Massacre in my races. And ev=
en with holding back my big cards in my 3 Qualifying sessions... I very easi=
ly set my fastest time ever at Road America... And never even had a clean la=
p.
> > I qualified 17th of 62 cars for the first of 2 races.
> > but on the way to the grid a part on my car that simply should not fail.=
.. Failed.
> > On the way up the hill to grid myself for the race, my crew noticed a sh=
ake and a shimmer in the wheel way.
> > When told of the shake I quickly exited the grid and motored down the hi=
ll. We jacked the car up and found one of my custom "bullet proof" Quarter M=
aster engineered Hubs broken...a big fat fail.
> > So on the GT6 front... The song remains the same...
> > I am very fast. And Not for lack of effort or preparation... I am once a=
gain beaten by equipment in the face of my own desire to push the car to a n=
ew limit.
> > Perhaps with a dollar or two for every nickel I have; my troubles would b=
e over...
> > Quarter Master Doesn't make custom parts anymore.
> > so our old solution is part of the good old days; and today is no longer=
 "problem solved".
> > Brian and I are looking at our current fabrication options now.
> >=20
> > Which brings me to the highlight of my weekend.
> > Brian... Racing our Cheetah wheel to wheel for first place overall in gr=
oup 3.
> > Back and forth with the McKee of a fellow named A.C. all race; changing p=
osition frequently.
> > Brian was in first place on the final lap. Going into turn 5 the rear su=
spension Broke!
> > The Tire was punctured as it rubbed against the frame rail.
> > With Balls, and a will, and our always dream....
> > Like a sick NASCAR Nightmare...
> > He kept going for 2 miles with rubber flying and blue smoke a blazing.
> > The tire fell off the rim on the front stretch as he took the checkered f=
lag for second place... finishing only inches in front of Doc Bundy!
> > It was the best race and finish for a non pro race I have ever seen!
> > 2nd place for the Cheetah in a spectacular fashion!
> > At the podium celebration... Even Brian Redman was at a loss for words.
> > Our Plymouth Barracuda finished all its sessions and was handling well.
> > It could use another couple few hundred horsepower to win...
> > But sure was the talk of the town!
> > Great Highs and Great Lows...
> > That's why we play this game.
> > Because the feelings you get from the skin you put in; take you from eve=
nt to event, in a whirlwind of emotion.
> > And you never know how its gonna play out until you flip the kill switch=
 off.  =20
> > Thanks to everyone that sent me a kind word this weekend,
> > And to those that came to help me in person! wow!
> > All that support was well received...
> > Jason Ostrowski
> > Friendly Ghost Racing
> >          =20
wi.rr.com
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
ast.net
>=20
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-8548447A-463C-4821-ACFC-BE2A8BC4FCD4
        charset=utf-8

ont-size: 12pt; color: #000000"><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">If any of y=
ou folks aren't subscribed to the online magazine, Sports Car Digest, I woul=
d highly recommend it.</div><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">There is terrif=
ic written and photographic coverage of vintage race events world wide. &nbs=
p;</div><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">Photos of Jason's and Allen's cars a=
re included, as well as Tony G's McLaren at RA.</div><div aria-label=3D"Comp=
ose body">The subscription is free and comes about once a week.</div><div ar=
"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-d=
ecoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;" data-=
mce-style=3D"color: #000; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-deco=
ration: none; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;"><b>=
From: </b>"Allen Washatko" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:awashatko@wi.rr.com";>awasha=
[...]
onary car. I would highly suggest a driving school for this individual.<br><=
div><br></div>I want to thank Richard and Dan Gehweiler for making this week=
end so successful. It was truly a team effort which makes all the effort tha=
t much more meaningful. And thanks Jason for helping us out with the hardwar=
8 PM, Jason Ostrowski &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jason@multivintage.com";>jason@mu=
 are a mixed bag of high and low.<br>&gt; In general the weekend was a flurr=
y of activity... The event was deep in competition, dollars and activity; In=
 so many ways.<br>&gt; The atmosphere at this race is as rich as it gets for=
 the glacial hills of Wisconsin.<br>&gt; Beauty of folks, machines, and natu=
re were in bounty.<br>&gt; The 50 year celebration of Can -Am was rather glo=
rious; and made any local race you may be used to, seem like a crappy slot c=
ar track in your Buddy's basement.<br>&gt; Our own Tony Garmey was out and q=
uite pointy at sharp end of the Grid.<br>&gt; He was deep in the middle of a=
 multi million dollar battle of the big boys.<br>&gt; He held his own in all=
 the sessions and raced to the very front of the action. He hung on to the t=
op five in a field of some 50 machines of power, wealth and mechanical excel=
lence.<br>&gt; The racing in the can-am was simply Phenomenal.<br>&gt; In th=
e end it was the 1974 UOP Shadows that took away the big Kitty; winning the f=
eature race and the stealing both the visual and speed prize for the entire w=
eekend... proving that the last years of the Can Am were indeed a thing of s=
pecial greatness.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; All in all, the level of preparation and t=
he standard fare in every race group was top notch.<br>&gt; A clean lap in m=
ost groups was rather rare due to high volume as well as obvious differences=
 in driver ability.<br>&gt; The Triumphs:<br>&gt; There were only 3 Triumphs=
 at the HUGE event.<br>&gt; I'd have to Give the cup to Allen W. In his wond=
erful red TR6. he finished all his sessions and ran well all weekend. He too=
k first prize in the downtown Racecar &nbsp;beauty contest driving back to t=
he track with the prestigious Blue Ribbon in his concourse class!<br>&gt; We=
ll shown and well raced&gt;&gt;&gt;A+ indeed!<br>&gt; I can't believe my own=
 luck... or lack there of.<br>&gt; I was really fast in my qualifying sessio=
ns. I was actually taking it easy and trying to save my car for a real Porsc=
he Massacre in my races. And even with holding back my big cards in my 3 Qua=
lifying sessions... I very easily set my fastest time ever at Road America..=
. And never even had a clean lap.<br>&gt; I qualified 17th of 62 cars for th=
e first of 2 races.<br>&gt; but on the way to the grid a part on my car that=
 simply should not fail... Failed.<br>&gt; On the way up the hill to grid my=
self for the race, my crew noticed a shake and a shimmer in the wheel way.<b=
r>&gt; When told of the shake I quickly exited the grid and motored down the=
 hill. We jacked the car up and found one of my custom "bullet proof" Quarte=
r Master engineered Hubs broken...a big fat fail.<br>&gt; So on the GT6 fron=
t... The song remains the same...<br>&gt; I am very fast. And Not for lack o=
f effort or preparation... I am once again beaten by equipment in the face o=
f my own desire to push the car to a new limit.<br>&gt; Perhaps with a dolla=
r or two for every nickel I have; my troubles would be over...<br>&gt; Quart=
er Master Doesn't make custom parts anymore.<br>&gt; so our old solution is p=
art of the good old days; and today is no longer "problem solved".<br>&gt; B=
rian and I are looking at our current fabrication options now.<br>&gt; <br>&=
gt; Which brings me to the highlight of my weekend.<br>&gt; Brian... Racing o=
ur Cheetah wheel to wheel for first place overall in group 3.<br>&gt; Back a=
nd forth with the McKee of a fellow named A.C. all race; changing position f=
requently.<br>&gt; Brian was in first place on the final lap. Going into tur=
n 5 the rear suspension Broke!<br>&gt; The Tire was punctured as it rubbed a=
gainst the frame rail.<br>&gt; With Balls, and a will, and our always dream.=
...<br>&gt; Like a sick NASCAR Nightmare...<br>&gt; He kept going for 2 mile=
s with rubber flying and blue smoke a blazing.<br>&gt; The tire fell off the=
 rim on the front stretch as he took the checkered flag for second place... f=
inishing only inches in front of Doc Bundy!<br>&gt; It was the best race and=
 finish for a non pro race I have ever seen!<br>&gt; 2nd place for the Cheet=
ah in a spectacular fashion!<br>&gt; At the podium celebration... Even Brian=
 Redman was at a loss for words.<br>&gt; Our Plymouth Barracuda finished all=
 its sessions and was handling well.<br>&gt; It could use another couple few=
 hundred horsepower to win...<br>&gt; But sure was the talk of the town!<br>=
&gt; Great Highs and Great Lows...<br>&gt; That's why we play this game.<br>=
&gt; Because the feelings you get from the skin you put in; take you from ev=
ent to event, in a whirlwind of emotion.<br>&gt; And you never know how its g=
onna play out until you flip the kill switch off. &nbsp; <br>&gt; Thanks to e=
veryone that sent me a kind word this weekend,<br>&gt; And to those that cam=
e to help me in person! wow!<br>&gt; All that support was well received...<b=
r>&gt; Jason Ostrowski<br>&gt; Friendly Ghost Racing<br>&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &=
; <br>&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com";>http://www.fot-racing.com</=
://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.=
net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>&gt; Forums: <a href=3D"http=
anage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/awashatko@wi.rr.=