fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 Compression Ratio Calculation Question

To: Steve Yott <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 Compression Ratio Calculation Question
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 07:21:12 -0500
Cc: FOT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Steve,

I seem to remember seeing an online calculator to figure dynamic compression
ratio.  It needed stroke, rod length and the crank degree figure at the point
of intake valve closing.  However I measured it the â??easyâ?? way, just
measuring piston rise every 2 degrees from BDC on a partially disassembled
engine (using a dial indicator) and comparing those figures to my camshaft
specs (Iâ??d checked those using a degree wheel and dial indicator before
disassembly).  Once I had a figure for the amount of stroke remaining after the
intake valve closed it was simple to calculate dynamic CR, which I was trying
to get just under 9:1.

To get unswept volume I did a test assembly of an engine (just one cylinder
needed valves and piston w/ rings for this test), put the piston at TDC and
tilted it so that the plug hole was the high point, and then measured the
amount of fluid needed to fill the â??overheadâ?? space.  I used water with a
bit of alcohol in it which gave lower surface tension than plain water, filling
the cylinder using a calibrated burette bought through Amazon.  Very light oil
might be better if you donâ??t want to have to remove the rings, etc. afterward
to remove the water but I was concerned what the oil would do to the plastic
burette.

To determine solely the chamber volume, I used the old tried-and-true method.
I cut a round piece of 1/4â?? plexiglas with a small hole for liquid to enter
and a smaller one next to it for air to exhaust.  Put the head upside down on
the bench (tilt it enough for the air to get out of the exhaust hole in the
plexiglas) with the valves inserted.  I used some vaseline to seal the
plexiglas to the head (and to better seal the valves since they were old and
worn) and let the liquid pour in, noting the number of milliliters (1 ml = 1cc)
that had dripped in when the chamber is full.

To answer part of Steveâ??s question, according to TeriAnnâ??s Triumph web page
a stock high-port TR head is 3.30â?? thick.

Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas USA