fot

Re: [Fot] variation in Timken carrier bearing width?

To: Aaron Johnson <hpspitfire@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] variation in Timken carrier bearing width?
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:24:53 -0600
Cc: FOT list <fot@autox.team.net>
On 9/30/2016 10:04 AM, Aaron Johnson wrote:
> All major bearing brands are and have been counterfeited. Do not think
> because it's in a box from that company it's ok.  Don't think because
> it's marked correctly that it's ok.  I have seen and investigated aero
> engine failures with bearings that are marked with our cage code and
> lots that trace to actual manufacturing lots.  However we track serial
> numbers and have real ones service.  Only buy bearings from authorised
> sellers or distributors.  Anything purchased through a third part is
> sceptical in my book

Reminiscent of the problems associated with bogus grade 8 hardware
entering the aerospace and defense sectors in the late `80s.  Then,
China wasn't a factor--very little trade with that country at the time.
Then, the substandard hardware was coming from manufacturers in Japan,
Korea, Poland, Mexico and Spain.

Unfortunately, the Fastener Quality Act that resulted from that ended up
placing some unnecessary demands on reputable manufacturers without
providing the tools to locate and trap bad hardware at the point of
entry into the defense aerospace system.  Took quite a while to make
that clear to legislators.

Mostly, the hardware was coming in through bulk wholesalers supplying
large contracts who bought stock at lower price points and pocketed the
difference from the going rate without doing the requisite quality
control checks.

So, doesn't surprise me a bit that inferior knock-offs in the bearing
market are showing up.  Globalizing supply systems made it much easier
for junk to sneak in.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive