fot

Re: [Fot] Bolts and Threads

To: Bud R <levilevi@comcast.net>, fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Bolts and Threads
From: Hugh Barber <tr6nut@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 12:58:07 -0500

--------------02A13648EE85EFE924112A15

If you want fine thread, you can get them from Bolt Depot. They are
$1.25 ea or a box of 10 is $9.78

https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_bolts_Zinc_plated_grade_8_steel_yellow_7_16-20.aspx

On 11/24/2016 11:03 AM, Bud R wrote:
> The Collective,
>
> I?m working on the Spitfire?s traverse leaf swing spring rear
> suspension and can?t find locally the 7/16?  fine thread (20 tpi) by 3
> 1/2? bolts that were holding the vertical link and to the trunnions
> and to the swing spring bushings.
>
> I can find the right sizes in a coarse thread (12 tpi) grade 8 bolt
> and thats my plan. The old ones are grade 5 or in one case a bolt with
> no slash marks on top. I don?t know what it is.
> Do these bolts need to be fine thread for any particular reason, e.g.
> for safety, torque specs, etc.? Is a grade 8 bolt a good idea where it
> will be stressed with all the up and down motion with the vertical
> link? Too brittle? Usually I go for grade 8 whenever possible but I?ve
> heard there are instances where it might not be the best solution.
>
> An aside for Thanksgiving:
> My son and his wife teaching in Shanghai said the Chinese love to
> celebrate American holidays (they know them from American TV and
> movies) but their take on Thanksgiving is that you thank people who do
> nice things for you. So they got cards from their students thanking
> them for teaching. Kind of a different twist but a good one I thought.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to all.
>
> Thanks,
> Bud Rolofson
>
> Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
>
> 71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
> 71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
> 69 Spitfire MK 3 (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
> 93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
> 77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

--------------02A13648EE85EFE924112A15

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      them from Bolt Depot. They are $1.25 ea or a box of 10 is $9.78<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_bolts_Zinc_plated_grade_8_steel_yellow_7_16-20.aspx";>https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_bolts_Zinc_plated_grade_8_steel_yellow_7_16-20.aspx</a><br>
      On 11/24/2016 11:03 AM, Bud R wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:68A3C9D4-F18A-486E-8FFF-F01A820B3F0C@comcast.net">
        charset=windows-1252">
      I?m working on the Spitfire?s traverse leaf swing spring rear
      suspension and can?t find locally the 7/16?  fine thread (20 tpi)
      by 3 1/2? bolts that were holding the vertical link and to
      the trunnions and to the swing spring bushings.
        8 bolt and thats my plan. The old ones are grade 5 or in one
        case a bolt with no slash marks on top. I don?t know what it is.<br>
            reason, e.g. for safety, torque specs, etc.? Is a grade 8
            bolt a good idea where it will be stressed with all the up
            and down motion with the vertical link? Too brittle? Usually
            I go for grade 8 whenever possible but I?ve heard there are
            instances where it might not be the best solution.</div>
            love to celebrate American holidays (they know them from
            American TV and movies) but their take on Thanksgiving is
            that you thank people who do nice things for you. So they
            got cards from their students thanking them for teaching.
            Kind of a different twist but a good one I thought.</div>
                separate; border-spacing: 0px;">
                  space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span
                    class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans: 2;
                    text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows:
                    2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                      -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break:
[...]
                                        style="orphans: 2; text-indent:
                                        0px; widows: 2;
                                        -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect:
                                        none;">
                                          break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode:
                                          space; -webkit-line-break:
                                          after-white-space;"><span
                                            class="Apple-style-span"
                                            style="orphans: 2;
                                            text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                                                style="border-collapse:
                                                separate; color: rgb(0,
                                                0, 0); font-family:
                                                Helvetica; font-style:
                                                normal; font-variant:
                                                normal; font-weight:
                                                normal; letter-spacing:
                                                normal; line-height:
                                                normal; text-transform:
                                                none; white-space:
                                                normal; word-spacing:
                                                0px; border-spacing:
                                                0px;
                                                -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                                0px;">Thanks,<br

class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                                                Bud Rolofson</div>
                                                style="border-collapse:
                                                separate; color: rgb(0,
                                                0, 0); font-family:
                                                Helvetica; font-style:
                                                normal; font-variant:
                                                normal; font-weight:
                                                normal; letter-spacing:
                                                normal; line-height:
                                                normal; text-transform:
                                                none; white-space:
                                                normal; word-spacing:
                                                0px; border-spacing:
                                                0px;
                                                -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                                0px;"><br>
                                                style="border-collapse:
                                                separate; color: rgb(0,
                                                0, 0); font-family:
                                                Helvetica; font-style:
                                                normal; font-variant:
                                                normal; font-weight:
                                                normal; letter-spacing:
                                                normal; line-height:
                                                normal; text-transform:
                                                none; white-space:
                                                normal; word-spacing:
                                                0px; border-spacing:
                                                0px;
                                                -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                                0px;">Extreme Parts
                                                Racing (more than just a
                                                haircut)</div>
                                                style="border-collapse:
                                                separate; color: rgb(0,
                                                0, 0); font-family:
                                                Helvetica; font-style:
                                                normal; font-variant:
                                                normal; font-weight:
                                                normal; letter-spacing:
                                                normal; line-height:
                                                normal; text-transform:
                                                none; white-space:
                                                normal; word-spacing:
                                                0px; border-spacing:
                                                0px;
                                                -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                                0px;"><br>
                                                6)</div>
                                                style="border-collapse:
                                                separate; color: rgb(0,
                                                0, 0); font-family:
                                                Helvetica; font-style:
                                                normal; font-variant:
                                                normal; font-weight:
                                                normal; letter-spacing:
                                                normal; line-height:
                                                normal; text-transform:
                                                none; white-space:
                                                normal; word-spacing:
                                                0px; border-spacing:
                                                0px;
                                                -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                                0px;">71 Spitfire MK IV
                                                Race Car #3</div>
                                                style="border-collapse:
                                                separate; color: rgb(0,
                                                0, 0); font-family:
                                                Helvetica; font-style:
                                                normal; font-variant:
                                                normal; font-weight:
                                                normal; letter-spacing:
                                                normal; line-height:
                                                normal; text-transform:
                                                none; white-space:
                                                normal; word-spacing:
                                                0px; border-spacing:
                                                0px;
                                                -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                                0px;">69 Spitfire MK 3
                                                (back up FE
                                                engine/dinghy car)</div>
                                                style="border-collapse:
                                                separate; color: rgb(0,
                                                0, 0); font-family:
                                                Helvetica; font-style:
                                                normal; font-variant:
                                                normal; font-weight:
                                                normal; letter-spacing:
                                                normal; line-height:
                                                normal; text-transform:
                                                none; white-space:
                                                normal; word-spacing:
                                                0px; border-spacing:
                                                0px;
                                                -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                                0px;">93 Minnie Winnie
                                                Race Support Vehicle </div>
                                                style="border-collapse:
                                                separate; color: rgb(0,
                                                0, 0); font-family:
                                                Helvetica; font-style:
                                                normal; font-variant:
                                                normal; font-weight:
                                                normal; letter-spacing:
                                                normal; line-height:
                                                normal; text-transform:
                                                none; white-space:
                                                normal; word-spacing:
                                                0px; border-spacing:
                                                0px;
                                                -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                                0px;">77 Z-50A Hardly
                                                Davidson Honda
                                                Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph
                                                Pit Bike)</div>
                                              separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                              0); font-family:
                                              Helvetica; font-size:
                                              12px; font-style: normal;
                                              font-variant: normal;
                                              font-weight: normal;
                                              letter-spacing: normal;
                                              line-height: normal;
                                              text-transform: none;
                                              white-space: normal;
                                              word-spacing: 0px;
                                              border-spacing: 0px;
                                              -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                              0px;"><br>
                                              separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                              0); font-family:
                                              Helvetica; font-size:
                                              12px; font-style: normal;
                                              font-variant: normal;
                                              font-weight: normal;
                                              letter-spacing: normal;
                                              line-height: normal;
                                              text-transform: none;
                                              white-space: normal;
                                              word-spacing: 0px;
                                              border-spacing: 0px;
                                              -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                              0px;"><br>
                                            class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                                        class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                                    class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                                class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px;
                font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight:
                normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal;
                orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
                text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.fot-racing.com";>http://www.fot-racing.com</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>

--------------02A13648EE85EFE924112A15--

--===============3651422685305762069==