fot

[Fot] FW: Grattan VSCDA next weekend?

Subject: [Fot] FW: Grattan VSCDA next weekend?
From: toodamnfunky at comcast.net (toodamnfunky at comcast.net)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:10:46 +0000 (UTC)
I'm having a similar problem, never seen it before. I'm on a fresh built motor
from the off season, top to bottom.
I'm on my third top end tear down and can't find the compression leak. I've had
all the liners out,
Started out with .003 - .004 liner projection. Cold, pre-start compression was
210 +/- 3 lbs across
all cylinders. After start and cam run in #'s 1 & 2 cylinders are 90lbs
exactly. I've done this three times
the first time with solid copper gasket, the second two times with Cometic
composite gaskets.
After the second time all liners were removed, and re-elevated to .004-.005
with thicker base gaskets.
All the pistons out and re-ringed. It wasn't the rings, I was really hoping I
got a couple compression rings
in upside down but no.
I use a torque plate every time a liner is removed to seat it squarely in the
bore. Before that I used to
use the head to seat them. Trying to cinch down a liner with a head stud was
always futile because
they will rock in their bores.
The compression never returns to 210, after the first heat cycle on a new head
gasket 1 & 2 drop to 90
and stay that way. A cracked head is highly unlikely as it seems # 1 & 2 are
sharing the same compression leak
since both are consistently 90 lbs. On a leakdown all I can hear is air in the
crankcase. My best guess at the moment is
it's getting past at the pushrod gallery. No compression getting into the
cooling system or I/E ports.The gaskets do not show
leaks like you would see after a common head gasket failure with either
evidence of coolant passing through or
hot gasses getting by. I have a total of about 65 minutes run time on the
motor.
All I can think of is some sort of block deformation going on. I bought a
couple precision straight edges, the head is
perfect, with the block in the car it's difficult to tell.
I pretty much tabled my season before it ever started in May, ran out of time
for it. I'm getting damn good at tearing the top
end off of it though.
jim g