fot

[Fot] best gearbox for TR6 more...

Subject: [Fot] best gearbox for TR6 more...
From: fubog1 at aol.com (fubog1)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 14:48:56 -0400
 In all fairness to the conversion advocates, in spite of the benefit of both
intermediate gearing & the extra top gear with the O/D unit, there are some
downsides to the O/D.
First, it's getting hard to find good units, a lot of what I run into is junk.
These have been in high demand since forever, I've bought many junk TRs just
for the overdrives.
As Larry pointed out, there are alternatives, ie Volvo, but then you have to
mod it to suit.
Unless you find a guaranteed plug-and-play TR box & O/D assembly, you'll most
likely be having to go through the gearbox as well, and certainly if you're
converting a standard gearbox to overdrive cuz' the mainshaft is different.
That leads to another problem, parts availability for overdrive parts is a bit
limited, especially some of the early A-type stuff, and as is normal these
days, quality is always a big concern.
Then if you have a rebuildable unit, and all of the parts, it has to be
properly rebuilt, by the book.
It's a fairly labor-intensive job and requires some degree of mechanical
finesse.

If you have to pay someone to do the entire job, the cost could easily get up
there to the point where a conversion gets more attractive.

There are also a few other negatives, the TR box & O/D unit may weigh more than
some alternative units, there is some very slight power loss with the O/D, and
some replacements may have better ratios available.

Having said (typed) this, for a street car, a later TR-6 box, with the 17 tooth
laygear, better 1st ratio & much-improved 2nd mainshaft gear, with a J-type on
the back of it is hard to improve on.
For racing, late 6 box with a set of close ratio gears & a "big piston" A-type
works well.

I see both side of the argument but personally I like the TRs as TRs, iff'n in
doesn't say Stanpart on it, I'm not interested (grin).

Glen