SU solid State fuel pump turned out the be the culprit

To: "Healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SU solid State fuel pump turned out the be the culprit
From: "Rick Neves" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:39:45 -0500
I purchased this SU Solid State fuel pump about a year ago however, I just
got the car on the road a month ago and I've only put about a couple tanks
of gas through the pump and it has failed.

It was real hot when I took it off the car. Too hot to hold the hunky metal
housing. The colored tape was even getting gooey. The solenoid moved when
you apply power but does not de-energize and allow the spring return to
actually pump out the gas. Its basically stuck on. The (little) coil (above
the hall effect) appears discolored and is probably compromised. I would
guess that the Hall effect is not working either. I don't know what failed
on the unit first.

Does anybody have experience with these pumps, particularly bad experience?
I know that they are basically reliable, that's why I purchased one. That
fact that this got hot bothers me seeing that its involved in the fuel. Mine
was a positive ground unit for a BN-2

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2