Re: door handle rechrome

To: "Freese, Ken" <Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com>,
Subject: Re: door handle rechrome
From: "John Snyder" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:01:43 -0800
Hi Ken,

I have had both the interior and exterior door handles rechromed on several
restorations.

The interior handles come out very well.

The exterior handles  (BN7/BT7) also come out very well (but you must not
send in handles which have cracks in the mounting fixture (bolts to the
door). Depending on which handles your BJ8 has, this might not be a problem.
These are "pot metal" which can not be repaired.  Assuming you send in
handles which are not cracked, the results will be very good (you must
disassemble the handles).  The only problem that I have had w/ the exterior
handles is that the chrome shop I use puts so much brass/chrome on the parts
that the moveable piece will not fit into the door mounted piece.
Beautiful, but can not be reassembled..  I just use a Dremel grinder to cut
out a very small amount of the extra material on the door mounted piece.  So
far, no-one has noticed.

John Snyder